cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmackerman
What's DOS?
Views: 8,440
Message 1 of 9

Are any of the Lenovo Laptops available for purchase without Windows OS pre-installed?

I am looking for a laptop to run linux on.  I don't need or want either XP or Vista installed on it, since it will be a linux only boot machine.  And I don't want to pay for either XP or Vista just to discard it after I format the drive and do a clena linux install.

Does Lenovo offer a no operating system Laptop?  Or one with linux installed as the OS?

Thanks and Happy Holidays and New Year
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 8,431
Message 2 of 9

Re: Are any of the Lenovo Laptops available for purchase without Windows OS pre-installed?

I don't think any are available to the general public although they might be available to corporate accounts for volume purchases.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,422
Message 3 of 9

Re: Are any of the Lenovo Laptops available for purchase without Windows OS pre-installed?

There is a Lenovo N200 http://www5.pc.ibm.com/europe/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_TY2BYxx?open&OpenDocument&epi=web_expr... configuration with a "PC DOS". It does not make sense to have better (more expensive configurations) without preinstalled Windows since the cost of OEM license for large companies like Lenovo is nearly zero. Introducing more models with noOS/Linux would be probably more expensive due the fact the only minority of customers wants it.

Message Edited by Puppy on 12-26-2007 12:23 PM
Token Ring
Views: 8,410
Message 4 of 9

Lenovo offers a T60p with Suse Linux
Available Linux compatible models (to order, call 866-96-THINK):
Model/Type 2007-8ZU with 14" SXGA+

febriansasi
Paper Tape
Views: 8,268
Message 5 of 9

Know what, if lenovo want to sell notebooks without OS or with linux, I think they can compete with ACER.
Nowadays, people are using linux, it makes me think hundreds times when I want to buy thinkpad (eventhough I like it so much).
When people buy PC or notebook, they more concern about the hardware because they can buy any OS when they want to.
I wonder why lenovo only sell products that support windows?
SAD
welp
Paper Tape
Views: 8,208
Message 6 of 9

hackmeister
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,186
Message 7 of 9

Machines with SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) will be available on the website starting February 19, Link.

This is very good news!

How about offering Ubuntu as an option as well? Smiley Wink

Message Edited by JHEM on 01-15-2008 02:59 PM
Highlighted
paulparker
Paper Tape
Views: 8,062
Message 8 of 9

The strain of waiting another two weeks to see these retail details ?-)

sid7878
Punch Card
Views: 8,038
Message 9 of 9

Does anyone know if they will offer linux for cto models or only for pre config models. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors