Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MorrowlessCom
Paper Tape
Views: 1,554
Message 31 of 57

Re: FYI - Linux May Not Support Thunderbolt Native Mode

And I find this thread just after I purchase X1C6... probably returning it if this is still an issue.

Schewa
Punch Card
Views: 1,525
Message 32 of 57

I was about to purchase my X1C6 yesterday - when I found this thread. I wanted to take advantage of the actual promotion offer. But I've got some doubts about it now. It is a shame that a device for a price like this hasn't been tested sufficiently.

I have bought Thinkpad devices in the past already, and I was satisfied though.

But since there was nothing said about this major issue  by Lenovo, it might be better to skip a purchase.

Although I am pretty confident that this issue can be solved due to a software update. The question is to what cost the solution will be applied.

What a shame that it wasn't changed with the last Bios update, as the changelog has told before.

Regards

pi1otpi1ot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,390
Message 33 of 57

Just canceled my order after reading about this. I ordered a T480s with a TB3 dock and if I have to disable TB3, whats the point? The OP has posted the problem *and* the solution and there is no official patch from Lenovo? Terrible!!!!!!! But you guys just lost a sale. There are competetiors to the T480s and I will go that route. What a shame! After 15yrs+ of Thinkpads I might have to buy a non-Thinkpad.

wuga
Punch Card
Views: 1,368
Message 34 of 57

@pi1otpi1ot wrote:

Just canceled my order after reading about this. I ordered a T480s with a TB3 dock and if I have to disable TB3, whats the point? The OP has posted the problem *and* the solution and there is no official patch from Lenovo? Terrible!!!!!!! But you guys just lost a sale. There are competetiors to the T480s and I will go that route. What a shame! After 15yrs+ of Thinkpads I might have to buy a non-Thinkpad.

Yeah, pretty sad as I just jumped ship from Surface and having all these issue, I got the TB3 dock as well, quite disasterous as sometime I felt that my x1c6 is exploding as the heat is scary...

Quitw pathetic that there isn’t a single reply since then...

prodigy1210
Paper Tape
Views: 1,343
Message 35 of 57

Same here. I cancelled my p52s after hearing about the  ACPI problem and also that I only have x2 Lanes for the SSD. Way to go there guys. 

What alternatives? I'm interested as I maybe killing ship too if the p52 does not launch soon

pi1otpi1ot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,332
Message 36 of 57

I went with the T480s for the x4 lanes. I really wanted the 15" screen and higher res but I use my machine most of the time on an external monitor anyway.

I had to cancel because of this bug. I'm shocked there isn't an official response from Lenovo.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,242
Message 37 of 57

@ThinkTank480 wrote:

This patch should resolve the problem.

This patch would then remove the bandage of the official fix, since it should no longer be necessary. I will leave that for your engineers to decide.

This patch would prevent an issue where my head shakes back and forth every time I see this block of code.

We asked BIOS engineer to comment on these 3 patches and got the following reply:

Patch1:   The patch code is not effective on ThinkPad because the TBMP value is always 0.

Patch2:   BIOS engineer believes there is no relationship between LTR Enable Bit and SCI generation.

Patch3:   The patch code is not effective because it just modified the debug message in the ACPI method

@ThinkTank480 wrote:

"-(Fix) Fix an issue where system may become hot by system interrupts when Thundrebolt is disabled in ThinkPad Setup - Security - I/O Port Access."

Unfortunately, the bug was not actually fixed. The solution that was implemented is only a bandage for the "disabled" thunderbolt state.

Yes, the bug was most definitely fixed.  The bug caused excess CPU utilization as shown below.  This situation never happened when Thunderbolt is enabled in BIOS setup, and does not happen on latest BIOS versions regardless of Thunderbolt state.

Untitled.png

Regarding the bug you are reporting now, I'd like more detail how you detected it.  Can you prove "heavy CPU usage on one thread due to frequent ACPI interrupts" and tell us how to detect it in task manager?  If instead the issue is about excess heat, then please refer here and see if your concern can be solved this way.

mkallio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,189
Message 38 of 57

Hello

I'll try as I believe these are the same symptoms.

I have now used for 4 workdays a brand new T480 with the following setup:

ThinkPad T480 - Nvidia Graphics

- Intel Core i7-8550U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
- Windows 10 Pro 64
- Windows 10 Pro 64 English
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS,Anti-Glare,250nit
- 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
- NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GDDR5 2G
- Black
- Standard PPS (PPSU Poly) cover
- 720p HD Camera with MIC
- Keyboard Backlit - Swedish/Finnish
- Near Field Communication Enabled
- Fingerprint Reader with NFC
- Hardware dTPM
- Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
- 256GB Solid State Drive PCIe OPAL2.0 M.2 2280 (16GT/s)
- Smart Card Reader
- 3 Cell Li-Ion 24Wh Front
- 3cell Battery 24Wh Rear
- 65W AC Adapter (3pin) - EU (USB Type C)
- Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1, vPro
- WWAN
- LTE Fibocom L830-EB
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080), PPS, No touch, WWAN, 2D Camera, Mic
- NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2G
- Publication - Nordic (DE/FI/NO/SW/EN)
- Think 3 Year Depot or Carry-in

Came with Win10 1709 updated to Win10 1803

These commands https://support.lenovo.com/id/en/solutions/ht506625 given.

Whats the matter with this laptop model? I have never seen lower than 3GHz idle speeds with AC or Battery. Battery life with 24+24Wh is promised as 13.6 hours on your specification PDF. I have got only 3-4 hours with simple Outlook, Excel, web browsing. Keyboard backlight off, screen at 80%.

I have no external devices attached, nothing exotic installed etc. The system interrupt process constantly shows 1-3% and seems to be the only reason the laptop keeps the CPU clocks way too high? Constantly blows much hotter air than my 5 year old T530.

Please fix this ASAP. Attached some screenshots in case they help your engineers.

2018-05-23 20_18_16-Task Manager.png2018-05-23 20_20_39-T480s - ACPI bug - Page 4 - Lenovo Community.png2018-05-23 20_52_31-Reply to Message - Lenovo Community.png

2018-05-23 20_54_43-Reply to Message - Lenovo Community.png

Edit: Forgot these:

Lenovo Vantage all updates done

Win10 all updates done

Bios version 1.12

Thunderbolt enable/disable in bios does not cure this

NFC and Memory card reader disabled in bios does not cure this (had to try this because you never fixed the cpu 30% problems with T530 and Ricoh media card reader!)

prodigy1210
Paper Tape
Views: 1,182
Message 39 of 57

Hey man, did you set your windows power profile to best performance? I had this problem a long time ago on my X1Y-2G.

I had changed my power profile to high performance and then my CPU stayed at turbo the whole time. Changed it to balanced and it started behaving normally.

mkallio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,174
Message 40 of 57

Oh dear... Power setting was max performance.

Changed to balanced and the clocks now dropped to 0,92GHz! Thank you very much!

However I would never have changed this myself. Could it be the Win10 1803 update? I do know whats this for and I have always prefered longer battery life over performance in my daily work laptop (as T480 easily has enough cpu power).

Also as it is running on battery it is even more a mystery what could have caused max performance power setting...

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors