Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,858
Message 51 of 57

Re: FYI - Linux May Not Support Thunderbolt Native Mode

ThinkTank480

Thank you for your additional information.  It's the first time I heard that you're not using Windows.  Please check whether the following BIOS setting can avoid the behavior you're reporting with OpenBSD:

BIOS Setup -> Config -> Thunderbolt ™ 3 -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode = Enabled

See the help text.  This setting must be Enabled to support Linux and older Win10 versions.

ThinkTank480
Punch Card
Views: 5,657
Message 52 of 57

@someotherguy

I am happy to report that BIOS Assist mode effectively circumvents the interrupt storm!

I tested cold-boot, suspend, and hibernate, and none of the waking states trigger the bug anymore.

I have yet to determine where exactly the interrupt storm was being generated, but with BIOS Assist mode preventing the symptoms, it hardly matters beyond the point of curiousity. The effect of BIOS Assist may also be useful in narrowing down the precise cause of the interrupts when BIOS Assist mode was disabled, so thanks for that!

ThinkTank480
Punch Card
Views: 5,617
Message 53 of 57

I retract patch2 - that one is bogus and a mistake on my part (I compared v1.08 and v1.11 when it should have been v1.10 and v1.11).

I would like to make my case once more for patch1 and patch3 though, before this thread gets buried. Both of these patches are still valid corrections, even if it turns out they have no effect on the bug.

patch1:

The reason patch1 was rejected is because the TBMP value is always zero, and hence that block of code never gets executed.

However, the code pattern that was rejected already exists in the file (see image). It is a contradiction to accept one instance and reject the other.

TBMP.png

patch3:

This patch was not intended to fix any bugs. It corrects an inconsistent user-facing debug message (see image).

during.png

Thanks again for your time @someotherguy, you have been very helpful.

MorrowlessCom
Paper Tape
Views: 5,573
Message 54 of 57

So basically, Windows 10 users with latest update should not experience this bug?

ThinkTank480
Punch Card
Views: 5,535
Message 55 of 57

If you are running the latest UEFI update, and the latest version of Windows 10, you should not be affected.

If you are running the latest UEFI update, and any other operating system, you may or may not be affected. If you experience this bug, enabling BIOS Assist mode should circumvent it. Note that enabling BIOS Assist mode will increase power consumption, so if you can live without thunderbolt, it may be a better option to disable thunderbolt instead of enabling BIOS Assist mode.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,293
Message 56 of 57

@ThinkTank480 wrote:

I would like to make my case once more for patch1 and patch3 though, before this thread gets buried. Both of these patches are still valid corrections, even if it turns out they have no effect on the bug.

Thanks for your suggestions.  This code comes from Intel so we passed your comments to them.  It's not practical for us to make these non-functional changes ourselves, but if Intel makes them, we will certainly pick up their changes.

timatgca
Punch Card
Views: 295
Message 57 of 57

In Ubuntu 18.04, changing to Enabled actually lowers power consumption, quite a lot.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors