Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomMich
Paper Tape
Views: 6,007
Message 1 of 7

Flex 5 Linux Support

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had experienceinstalling Lunux in Dual boot config for either the 14" or 15" models, any BIOS issues, etc.

Thanks!

cellularbeing
Paper Tape
Views: 5,752
Message 2 of 7

Re: Flex 5 Linux Support

I am in the same boat. I just got my Flex 5, and I am unable to dual boot linux to it.

Here's what I have tried:

disabling fast boot.

disabling secure boot. 

Different versions of Ubuntu. 

A few different usb thumb drives. 

Whenever I try booting into efi usb, my system restarts and I get

system doesn't have any usb boot option

When I do boot into my usb I do not get an option to install ubuntu alongside Windows. 

Worth mentioning: 

My system has a hybrid drive, with a 512GBSSD + 1TB HDD

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

cellularbeing
Paper Tape
Views: 5,750
Message 3 of 7

One other thing, the boot mode is greyed out and defaulted to UEFI. I have tried to change it but I have been unsuccessful.
WesShaddix
What's DOS?
Views: 5,289
Message 4 of 7

cellularbeing have you made any progress on this? I have the same setup as you do and am interested in dual booting linux

cellularbeing
Paper Tape
Views: 5,284
Message 5 of 7

I have. I actually changed my bios settings from the default Intel RST to AHCI. Unfortunately I wasn't able to install linux on the sad, but that may have been because I installed Windows first. 

But as it stands I have Windows on the SSD and I partitioned some space onto the HDD forward Linux since this machines specs are good enough. No problems so far. 

Just a note incase you were worried, if you clean install Windows 10 you won't need a license as it's attached to the Mobo so you don't have to worry about that like I was. Lemme know if you have questions I'll do the best I can to help 

Highlighted
gospodnetic
What's DOS?
Views: 4,532
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

I had the same problem! 

Here is my solution:

https://medium.com/@petragospodneti/windows-10-and-linux-love-hate-dual-boot-problems-d9994cbe16c0

I hope it helps!

israni-lenovo
What's DOS?
Views: 2,441
Message 7 of 7

The solution provided by gospodnetic works perfectly.

When following these steps exactly as described, I was able to install both Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 in dual boot mode, but Ubuntu 16.04 was installed in Legacy mode while my pre-installed windows was in UEFI mode. So, in order to run the other one, I had to always change my BIOS settings.

This can be prevented by taking care of a few additional things.
- While create USB live disk for Ubuntu using Rufus, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI.

- In BIOS settings, set Boot to UEFI before running installation for Ubuntu.
Everything else is fairly straigtforward, if you follow the steps provided in the previous solution.

Hope this helps! Cheers! Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Authors