cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigboy61
SCSI Port
Views: 11,680
Message 1 of 18

How do I install Ubuntu on Ideapad z500 UEFI? PLEASE HELP!

I am spoiled with Ubuntu and when I bought this PC (ideapad z500 non touch) last summer i didnt realize it was difficult to install Ubuntu on it. I read the Ubuntu forums and it said "disable secure/fast boot etc" and I cannot find anywhere in the BIOS about any of that! I may be stupid ,but please help me! Thanks in advance!

maxim_robi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,620
Message 2 of 18

Re: How do I install Ubuntu on Ideapad z500 UEFI? PLEASE HELP!

I have a Z500 non touch and I am currently running Win7 on it. I would like to install linux too, for safety and from mere curiosity.  What would you recommend for me? Which type of Linux and is it hard to download and install it ? Smiley Happy 

Thank you.

Moderator Note; subject reverted to original

bigboy61
SCSI Port
Views: 11,610
Message 3 of 18

Ubuntu is by far the most popular and what I use. Unfortunately at the urrent time, it is very hard to install and thats why i went to the forums for help. If you have an old non UEFi pc its easy but since you have the same as mine it will probably be hard.

johnv474
802.11n
Views: 11,608
Message 4 of 18

I do not own your machine and your post does not include any description of what you have tried.

What you need:
- a USB drive or blank CD
- a Ubuntu ISO
- software to make bootable CD or USB image with the ISO
- a backup of all of your data, assuming the installation will erase everything on that machine.
- Google

I can't give more specifics. Have you tried to install it so far?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,600
Message 5 of 18

Hi,

I don't have a Z either...

Looking at the BIOS simulator, all I see in boot options is enable or disable UEFI boot.  No mention of secure boot enable/disable.

I"ve been able to install and run Ubuntu on a Twist in UEFI/Secure boot mode this way:

Format a USB flash drive with a single FAT32 partition.

Download a recent version of the Ubuntu (12.10 or 12.04.2 or later IIRC) 64 bit live CD ISO.

Extract the contents of the ISO to the flash drive.  I use 7Zip in windows, but use your favorite de-archiving tool.

Leave the boot mode set to UEFI.  Boot the laptop, bring up the boot menu, and select the flash drive.  That's all that was required.

If you want to boot in non-UEFI mode it will require building bootable media in the traditional way.  Burn a CD or use one of the boot media building tools for a flash drive.  Installing in non-UEFI mode may also require converting the HDD from GPT to MBR.  Not sure about that.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

bigboy61
SCSI Port
Views: 11,590
Message 6 of 18

Wow! I read and it seamed like you had to do a bunch of complicated things ,but i booted into it and its just a normal install! Thanks guys! 

maxim_robi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,581
Message 7 of 18

Hi there. 

I would like to know if it is enough to install Ubuntu from Windows as a normal install, or I need to do that long and fuzzy thing with booting from disk or flash drive and so on... I would rather go for the safer mode, because I have Windows 7 currently and a lot of data on the laptop. 

If so, where would the installation put my linux OS? In the Program Files or somewhere else ?

Thanks, Maxx.

Moderator note: merged post with existing thread.  Edited subject line to match.  Was:  Ubuntu on Z500.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,546
Message 8 of 18

@ maxim_robi,

Are you asking about a Wubi installation vs a bare-metal install?  Here are a couple of links that may shed some light:

What are the benefits of a disk install vs. Wubi? And can I migrate my settings easily?

What's the difference between Wubi and a regular installation?

The "Linked" and "Related" links down the right sides of those pages may also help.

If you're not asking about Wubi, please explain further.  Maybe a virtual machine is another option for you.  Wubi is not a virtual machine.

[edit]  If you're running Windows 8, Wubi doesn't seem to be an option:

Download the Windows installer for Ubuntu Desktop

Have a new PC with the Windows 8 logo or using UEFI firmware?

Please use a 64-bit flavour of Ubuntu, installed directly to its own partition
rather than using the Windows installer.
Learn more ›

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

maxim_robi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,534
Message 9 of 18

My most important criteria would be that my Windows file system and all my data stored currently on my PC aren't effected at all. Yes, I was talking about the Wubi install, but as I see, I will need to format and partition my HDD for Ubuntu. If you would be so kind, to tell me approx. how much space should I secure for my Ubuntu install ? Smiley Happy Let's say 50-80 Gb ?

Thanks, Maxx.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,532
Message 10 of 18

I don't have an answer off the top of my head regarding space.  That will depend on what you want to do with Ubuntu.  I'd say take a look at the install guide on the Ubuntu site for that information.

I don't allocate much space since I'm usually just testing device drivers and have multiple installs on the same HDD.  20G or so.  That's probably too small for most users.

If you're concerned about Windows integrity (and you should be...) consider a VM approach.  VMWare Player is free and runs well on modern hardware.  There are other VM options also.

In my limited experience, dual booting with Windows 8/UEFI can be a little fragile and makes it difficult to recover from problems.  Hence my preference for a VM approach and only going to bare-metal installs when I actually  have to test hardware.

[edit] Another advantage to a VM approach is simplified backup.  There are tools that can back up a dual boot machine but sticking with a single-boot install lets you back up the whole machine by just backing up the host OS.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors