Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chazmaestro
Paper Tape
Views: 8,848
Message 1 of 5

How to load Ubuntu onto a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 11IBY

Try as I will I cannot figure out how to install ubuntu onto my Lenovo Ideapad 100S 11IBY.  There is no way of changing EFI settings from the hard disc to USB as it is only windows 10 bootable from the hard disc.  Does any one have an idea of how it can be done?  I like to try new operating systems frm time to time.

Chip127
Paper Tape
Views: 8,809
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to load Ubuntu onto a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 11IBY

If all you want to do is try/play with Ubuntu, why don't you just download a copy of Virtualbox and install it.  That way you don't have to destroy a good running copy of Windoz!  You'll be happy you did.  Be sure to enable vitualization in your bios if that's an option.  You will be able to install anything from DOS to Mac OS, and play 'til your heart is content.

chazmaestro
Paper Tape
Views: 8,791
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the tip.  I might just try that later on.

pablojrl123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,790
Message 4 of 5

Hello!, To try to install Ubuntu, or to use any other USB Boot Device goto to your BIOS settings and do the following: Disable Secure Boot, Activate Boot from USB and change UEFI to Legacy Supported, exit and save the BIOS settings, restart your PC once again and you should be able to select your Linux Live (from a CD/DVD or a USB).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,761
Message 5 of 5

@pablojrl123 wrote:

Hello!, To try to install Ubuntu, or to use any other USB Boot Device goto to your BIOS settings and do the following: Disable Secure Boot, Activate Boot from USB and change UEFI to Legacy Supported, exit and save the BIOS settings, restart your PC once again and you should be able to select your Linux Live (from a CD/DVD or a USB).

This is unlikely to help on a 100s 11IBY.  That laptop has a 32-bit UEFI-only BIOS.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Linux-on-Ideapad-100s-11IBY/td-p/3367825

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors