Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redeye0
Serial Port
Views: 1,295
Message 1 of 9

How to update T500 BIOS under Linux

I am trying to refurbish my old T500 which is running Linux Mint 18.2 and I can't find the latest BIOS either to update the existing one or confirm it is current.  The output of dmidecode is:

6FET92WW (3.22 )
# dmidecode 3.0
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 11, 5 bytes
OEM Strings
	String 1: IBM ThinkPad Embedded Controller -[7VHT16WW-1.06    ]-

Advice is appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,288
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to update T500 BIOS under Linux

Hello and welcome,

If you're looking for the ISO download to check the version and perhaps install, it's here:

https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

Looks like it's v3.23 or 3.25.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

redeye0
Serial Port
Views: 1,229
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks. Would this .iso qualify as a "self-contained bootable ISO environment?" I was hoping to flash the BIOS from a bootable USB

Cheers
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,227
Message 4 of 9

I'm afraid I can't answer that question.  There may be ways to manipulate the ISO to make it (or parts of it) usable on a flash drive, but I'll have to leave that to others.

BIOS  exe files for newer ThinkPads actually include a tool for building a flash drive but it wasn't around for these older models.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

redeye0
Serial Port
Views: 1,200
Message 5 of 9

I downloaded the .iso and flashed it to a bootable USB, but it seems to be Windows-specific.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,196
Message 6 of 9

Not sure I understand.  The ISO is intended to be used to burn a bootable CD/DVD/BD.  Shouldn't be anything window-ish about it.

Z.

redeye0
Serial Port
Views: 1,138
Message 7 of 9

Indeed.  It seems something went awry creating the USB.  Burning the .iso to CD worked and so did installing grub-imageboot, storing the .iso in /boot/images, updating grub, and rebooting.  Thanks for the help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,133
Message 8 of 9

Good news Smiley Happy

...grub-imageboot... That's interesting.  I've always done it by hand with stand-alone grub2 or Ubuntu's grub2 w/a manually created .cfg using loopback or memdisk.

I tend to keep a bunch of bootable images on a flash drive and secondary drives in my desktop and laptops.  Will have to look into that.

regards,

Z.

redeye0
Serial Port
Views: 1,127
Message 9 of 9

Just discovered that one myself.  Far and away the easiest solution.  After installing and updating, you can just select the bootable .iso image on the GRUB menu.

Top Kudoed Authors