Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blablubb1234
Serial Port
Views: 2,189
Message 11 of 15

Betreff: Ideapad S205 unbootable after using efibootmgr

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy I will try to avoid dissembling my S205 as long as possible as i don't want to screw any more things up Smiley Very Happy If flashing won't prove to be possible I will consider removing the CMOS battery. Though as already mentioned I don't believe removing it will "undelete" EFI boot menu entries. Or am i wrong about this assumption?

Best regards and many many thanks to you all.

wschaub
Punch Card
Views: 2,187
Message 12 of 15

mine has 19 for various reasons, the only interesting ones are the Fvfile(... entries.

the rest are for hardware device boot options and then finally stuff I have set to boot from various EFI boot partitions etc.

I only did my setup with efibootmgr but I booted into the efi shell and did a dump so you might be able to try and set up some of those fvfile entries if you ever get to an efi shell somehow.. I have no idea if those fvfile entries would even work on a different firmware from a T530, or even if they indeed change between firmware updates. 

It would seem their presence and, also being  defined in the boot order is needed to even see the BIOS setup screens at all though. which I find a bit of an odd choice, sure it's flexible and allows lenovo to add whatever they want dynamically but it doesn't seem to have any way of falling back if the variables have been messed with Smiley Sad

blablubb1234
Serial Port
Views: 2,166
Message 13 of 15

I just got an USB stick formatted with wincris.exe but flashing doesn't seem to work. Still, it is an USB stick without LED so i cannot tell exactly... i will format another one with LED the next days and see if flashing/unbricking works on that stick...

wschaub
Punch Card
Views: 2,153
Message 14 of 15

When looking into this yesterday I looked at the crisis recovery. the windows tool has advanced options one of which is setting up the crisis disk to tell the flash tool to clear the nvram. I would check that and see if there is an ini file created along with the other files on the stick that gives an option to the UEFI flash tool to clear the nvram as part of flashing the rom. aside from this I could find no way to reset nvram and if you managed to brick the crisis recovery step you seem to be totally screwed short of a new motherboard or a way to flash the motherboard externally.

another thing I found interesting is that when looking around at ways to reset the NVRAM I came across documentation fror Itanium systems which is where EFI (which eventually became UEFI) came from and it has a built in shell and even a command to return all the nvram back to defaults. I wonder why that feature isn't part of PC EFI/UEFI systems. (well mostly I did find an industrial PC vendor that had a recovery method that had a nice menu for clearing nvram as part of the recovery flash process, but that doesn't help you with the lenovo firmware and still made it more complicated than it needed to be. Smiley Happy

either way if I could have a wishlist it would be to have an easy way to reset the nvram to factory state on lenovo laptops and to make sure that the boot variables can not screw with getting into setup (at least enough to reset back to a good state...) I don't share this problem thankfully but I'm pretty sure (without testing don't want to screw my laptop up) if I hadn't have been extra careful I would probably be in the same boat as you. 

The only reason I like UEFI is it seems to be a step towards having useful firmware on the PC like I'm used to on various RISC workstation hardware. but it is very discouraging when it's mainly used to lock things down and doesn't even provide basic recovery methods that we are all used to when any random (malicious, or in this case (and in one other I found similar) software or people that make assumptions about the boot variables vs how the firmware is actually using them for it's own purposes instead of just for stuff it's loading off of disk) software (that has gotten enough privs to cause the OS to use UEFI runtime services on it's behalf) could change a UEFI variable (not just the boot variables, any variable (and there are many) that could cause the system to hang or not work as desired) and make your system unbootable.

This isn't even really just a lenovo rant BTW I think most PC BIOS vendors have dropped the ball with implementing UEFI and are trying to copy the BIOS a bit too much and focused on just booting windows at a minimum rather than having really good firmware.  what I would like to see more vendors do is implement UEFI closer to what was done with the Asrock P67 Extreme4, or some MSI boards (see http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_s_efi_bios/1)  not so much just having bells and whistles but having a nice environment using UEFI that can be used to recover the machine before any other OS is loaded.

(this could include basic networking tools, the ability to support reading common filesystems, and editing files (I can alredy do this with the UEFI shell and some extra drivers loaded into UEFI ) partitioning and repairing and even imaging disks using EFI applications, etc. the lenovo diagnostics are already an EFI application) 

that's more what I see UEFI being useful for rather than just providing EFI bootloaders, GPT partition tables and secure boot along with the same old lame BIOS style menus.

I realize UEFI is still very new and only just being widely deployed because of windows 8 but I think it's really important for vendors to focus on quality UEFI implementations and I'm sure Lenovo could work with Phoenix to lead the way in this area. I know It would be another big check mark (at least as big to me as the trackpoint which is  something I won't live without on a laptop) that would influence me to keep making future purchases. good quality firmware that's almost impossible to brick and easy to recover both the firmware and the system is something that I consider a major major plus. Thinkpads have a reputation for being tough and easy to service and I think Lenovo could continue that reputation with a bit of extra effort on their firmware.

lkishalmi
What's DOS?
Views: 2,082
Message 15 of 15

If S205 is not bootable after using efiootmgr coming with Ubuntu 13.04. Then the problem can be fixed in the following way.

S205 only able to hold 6 items in EFI boot. Use Ubuntu livecd for 12.04. Install efibootmgr with apt, then remove a few unnecessary items with efibootmgr. If that has been done, you can create a new one for Ubuntu or reinstall ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10.

I'd thought that I've bricked my S205 for 2 weeks when I've figured that out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors