Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

03-15-2013

Mexico

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: Ideapad U310: Ubuntu?

2013-03-15, 1:09 AM

Hi,

Can you post the recipe complet, consider a newbie in raid installation

Thx

Options

10 Posts

07-25-2013

United States

10 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 12 of 14

2013-07-25, 21:43 PM

Has anyone noticed any differences with battery life for the U310 with linux on it compared to windows.

Options

1 Posts

07-31-2013

Slovakia

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 13 of 14

2013-07-31, 7:17 AM

Ugh sorry, now I found in specs that my model does not have this ssd sorry :smileyembarrassed:

But I dont get why in bios there was RAID enabled..

Hi, I have this Lenovo u310, and am installing Linux Mint 15 KDE 64bit (Based on Ubuntu 13.04).

My problem is, that I cant see that SSD disk(neither with fdisk nor with installed gparted).

Does anybody came accross this issue?

Do I have to disable or enable something special in BIOS for SSD to work?

I disabled almost everything in Configuration tab (UEFI, Intel Virtual Technology, Intel Rapid Start Technology Lenovo Smart Update, and also something regarding memory remap).

In Boot tab I see normal disk with its name and SSD disk with no name - is that a problem?

Can anyone please tell me how this SSD + HDD work - is that SSD counted as part of that 500GB HDD?

In gparted I see only one hdd and that is 500GB disk.

Options

1 Posts

12-25-2013

Romania

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 14 of 14

2013-12-25, 14:17 PM

Merry Christmas to all of you. I managed to install Kubuntu on SSD on U310 that came with Win8 preinstalled. Now I have a dual boot. The only problem is that when I want to boot the other system I have to change from bios boot options: UEFI for Windows and Legacy for Kubuntu. First of all I tried a puppy linux to see how it works. Then I decided to install Kubuntu on SSD because I still need Windows even if it freezes from time to time. Now I use Kubuntu at home and Win8 at work. After testing puppy linux to see how the hard is seen by linux and identify the partition for installing linux I made a bootable usb stick using unetbootin. I choose Kubuntu because I am not a linux guru but I use it because is fast and reliable. After that, I disabled Intel Rapid Technology from BIOS. Kubuntu is version 12.04.3 x64 LTS. On SSD is working like a charm. I had no problem with wireless connection. I do not know if it is important but when I installed Kubuntu I choosed to install the boot loader on /dev/sdb after I created a  boot partition on /dev/sdb6. In fact the Lenovo partition from Windows was seen by linux as /dev/sdb6 and had aprox. 26 GB. I deleted from linux installer and I made three partitions : one for bios boot, one for swap of 4GB and the rest for ext2 file system. I strongly advice to back-up the Windows before you do any changes. I did not, and I was about to regret it. First, after installing, the Windows did not boot. It loads only if you change from bios the boot options UEFI. In this case, the linux boot is not possible. If you change back in BIOS the boot options to Legacy, you can boot linux. That is all. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms