Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,952
Message 1 of 14

Installing Ubuntu 16.04.2 alongside Windows 7

I got a new ThinkPad P50 with 32GB RAM and 1TB NVME SSD with Windows 7 installed on it. I need to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, however, my attempts were not successful.

These are the steps I took:

- Shrink partition C in Windows and generate ~400GB unallocated space for Ubuntu.

- Restarted with Ubuntu bootable usb

- Instead of selecting "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7" option, I selected "Something else" option

- Using my free space (~400GB), created a primary swap space with ~33GB capacity

- Made the rest of free space as a primary mount point ( option: / )

- Since my system has normal BIOS (not efi), I selected my device's name to install.

The problem happens right here - no matter which drive I select to install, it gives me warning and askes me to return and correct the error. Here is what it says:

"The partition table in use on your disks normally requires you to create separate partitin for boot loader code. This partition should be marked for use as a "Reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1MB size. Note that this is not the same as a partition mounted on /root. If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later ..."

Please advise. I appreciate everyone's help.

Homeuser66
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,948
Message 2 of 14

Re: Installing Ubuntu 16.04.2 alongside Windows 7

Why don't you want to use the option to boot along side Windows? I have done this many times. You could set up EBCD in Windows to manage what to boot to, as well as installing Grub in Ubuntu and also manage your start up. With that I mean, it will allow you to have either OS as a default Boot. Maybe elaborate on what you are trying to do.
alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,824
Message 3 of 14

Thank you. The reason I tried "Something else" option was to better manage the options such as swap space. Anyways, I tried your advice and used the option to boot alongside Windows 7. It worked and apparently installed successfully but I can't get into it. I do not have dual boot options - the system automatically enters to Windows. Could you please let me know more in details on how I can get this while booting?

alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,814
Message 4 of 14

One more anouncement:

I tried EasyBCD to add Ubuntu's bootloader to windows. It simply gives error because the bootloader of Windows is UEFI. I tried to change it to Legacy, but it never worked - it doesn't boot without UEFI. Then, I am not able to get a dual boot option.

Homeuser66
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,794
Message 5 of 14

I ran into this only a few tiems others worked perfectly. Can you boot into either OS? Try booting into the Live USB (Ubuntu) and running Boot Repair or even Grub on that Ubuntu Live CD. That should fix it after you do this and When it boots up, linux should be first choice, tab down to Windows bootloader if you choose, or try the Linux one just to get into the PC. I'll try to monitor this post to help you.

alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,731
Message 6 of 14

Thank you for your help. I am still struggling with this issue. As I explained, the problem is that after installing Ubuntu 16.04, my computer doesn't recognize it because it uses UEFI firmware system which does not allow Legacy. I am currently figuring out how to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode which might be a solution. Once I resolve this issue, I will upload the detailed solution steps and will distribute my experience.

In the mean time, if you have clear and step-by-step procedure, please let me (and the community)  know - I appreciate it in advance.

Homeuser66
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,722
Message 7 of 14

Have you gone into the BIOS and turnd off UEFI? When PC is off, Start it, hitting F1 immediatly to get into the Setup Area. (Do not play with anything else in here, unless you know what you are doing).

After hitting F1 and accessing the BIOS. scroll over to the SECURITY tab.

Scroll down to the SECURE-BOOT and change this to DISABLE.

Hit Escape

scroll over to ESCAPE and SAVE then exit and Restart PC. It should work now.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/disabling-secure...

I'll set up a tutorial step by step when I get more time. Hope this helps for now?

alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,719
Message 8 of 14

Yes, I have tried it and it doesn't help. I guess, you are trying to solve this issue by EasyBCD or GRU. This doesn't work since there is a fundamental problem of UEFI and BIOS booting contradiction for Windows and Ubuntu respectively.

The clue as I realized so far by reading many articels, is to install Ubuntu in UEFI system. I believe nothing else will work since the platform only allows UEFI booting. Again, if you have done this before please send the instructions.

Thank you.

Homeuser66
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,700
Message 9 of 14

I don't know what happened to my other post, but When I have spare time, I'll create a step by step instruction for you.

I just re-read your original Post. My appologies. It seems like you might have too many partitions? You can only have 4 primary partitions on a HDD. If you right click on MY COMPUTER (THIS PC) and go to Manage, then DISK MANAGEMENT. How many Partitions do you have on each of your HDD's? From what I understand, you have a 32GB SSD (DISK 0) and a 1TB (DISK 1). Your OS should be on the 32GB SSD. Can you post a pic of what that looks like and we can go from there?

Just in case, 

For dual booting, I just do it and don't follow any steps, per say. but before you start, make sure you disable UEFI in BIOS. then install Ubuntu. This might have been your issue from start, not sure. If it wasn't , then try Boot Repair 

Helpful links:

Boot Ubuntu along Windows 10 UEFI

I currently have this configuration on one of my PC's Triple Boot

Dual Boot on an Acer Although, this is not your laptop, it still might be able to help you. 

Another thing you can try is Virtual Box, if you're having a hard time doing this. But just have patience. I'll get you your step by step guide, it's just I have to put together another machine to do it, all mine are used up. 

alidadgar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,692
Message 10 of 14

Thanks for prompt reply.

I have only 2 primary partitions. The problem you mentioned is for MDR partitions only - not for MDR. In MDR, you can have up to 128 partitions.

Referring again to my posts and anwers to your previous replies, my main problem is that my machine is under UEFI system. This literally means that there is no way to disable it. Once I disable it, or change UEFI to Legacy, it doesn't boot. That is why I mentioned, I have to install Ubuntu under UEFI system which I am challenging with it now. Considering these simple points, those posts and methods do not apply to my problem.

Top Kudoed Authors