Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jd180
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,464
Message 21 of 31

Re: Installing Ubuntu 16.04 on Yoga 900S

All,

Please note that we 900S owners finally have a new BIOS to allow installation of Linux.  It's nice to see Lenovo come to the plate with a real solution.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/yoga-900s-12isk/downloads/...

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 7,441
Message 22 of 31

In response to customer requests for a BIOS that allows Linux to be installed on Yoga 900 and Ideapad 710s models, Lenovo has started releasing new BIOS.

For a complete list of models receiving these BIOS, please read this Knowledge Base article: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-and-Ideapad-710S-Linux-Only-BIOS/...

Thank you,

TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 7,331
Message 23 of 31

That is great news, Amy! Thanks!

Helmreich
What's DOS?
Views: 5,895
Message 24 of 31

Hi Amy,

I have just taken a look at this thread for the first time, as I have seen the Yoga, and am interested.
I am among the many who use Linux.
I have recently bought a Lenovo Zuk Z2 phone, I had a Thinkpad in years gone by.
I am surprised that Lenovo didn't support Linux boot out of the box, and as seems evident in the thread the fix which appears to be minor took 5 months to resolve.
If I were to buy Lenovo hardware I would hope this kind of thing would not be an issue.

Can you advise all of us as to whether this issue is taken seriously, or as a trivial matter.
Five months says to me Lenovo doesn't care, can you advise otherwise.

I know this is not you personally, so I am not directing my disappointment at you.

Regards, MIchael.

ras47
SCSI Port
Views: 5,868
Message 25 of 31

For a company like Lenovo, five months is not that long. First they need to assess the scope of an issue. How many people wanted to install Linux on the affected models? Did enough of those people inform Lenovo that this was an issue for them? It takes resources to create solutions like the company just did.

Once they go through the process of determining if the probem warrants more investigation they have to come up with a solution. Then they have to create that solution. And test it. And fix the myriad issues that crop up. After all that the fix is ready to be released.

I think Lenovo did a pretty good job responding to this problem.

speculatrix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,843
Message 26 of 31

@ras47

Sure, if Lenovo were starting from scratch, then yes it wasn't long to wait.

but they didn't start from scratch!

How long was this computer in Lenovo's engineering labs being developed before it went on sale? Did nobody think to test it with linux? Did their marketing department not think to ensure that when it went on sale it needed to be explicitly labelled with "incompatible with linux"?

I'm sure they have automated build, integration and testing tools when they produce new firmware for any device, so a small change like this should be straight-forward to pass through from coding to release.

fyarik
Paper Tape
Views: 1,964
Message 27 of 31

Hi everyone! Did somebody install linux on the 900s in the end? I tried to do it but have very strange issue. When i close laptop cover and open it again the screen becomes to flash. It looks like hardware problem, but i'm shure it;s not. First, windows works fine, second, it can work perfectly for several hours till i close and open it. And after all i checked another one notebook (absolutely identical) and it has the same problem. You can see these flashes in video below.

https://yadi.sk/i/xA8v_vy13NcaBg

I tried Ubuntu 16.04 Unity, Ubuntu 17.04 Gnome and Debian. I tried to reinstall all video drivers... No effect...

ginabennett
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,609
Message 28 of 31

hi Fyarik

Last year when this thread was active I tried just about everything to make Ubuntu work on my 900s. It sort of worked for a while although a number of things needed tweaking (like hibernation, touch screen, working with the pen etc.). But then Windows 10 upgraded itself & my dual boot option was destroyed. I still like the 900s, such a pretty little machine, but I am actively looking for another laptop that will run linux properly. 

Good luck...

speculatrix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,595
Message 29 of 31

Try installing easyuefi and rEFInd to help fix booting problems. The latter gives you a flexible boot menu, the former allows you to make it the default.

ginabennett
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,560
Message 30 of 31

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors