Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whizkid
Paper Tape
Views: 6,275
Message 1 of 8

Introduction

Hello. I've been a 'padder since 1993. I still have my 750P and am attempting to get Debian Woody to run. (It's installed, but I'm having apt and/or resource issues).

I have a 560E sitting in a box because of keyboard issues.

I have a 600X that I bought new, upgraded to 800MHz, and have had many versions of Red Hat Linux, Fedora, and even Ubuntu for a while.

I use a T60 daily. I use Fedora 8 for work (web site development, and as a programming contractor), and it has Windows Vista Business 32-bit because it was a free upgrade and to play a couple of games.

I'm happy to help out and I'll be asking for questions from time to time... such as.... how *do* I get apt to update properly on this old 750P?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 6,271
Message 2 of 8

Re: Introduction

I've owned Thinkpads since 2001 when I bought a 600 on ebay. Currently I have a 570, 570E,  T60 and an R61.
I have been using Linux since 1999. Started with Red Hat. I tried a few different distros before jumping on the BeOS bandwagon also in '99. Stayed with Be for a couple of years and then realizing it was dead I moved back to Linux. After some surfing (Mandrake, Corel, Lycoris) I settled on Xandros where I stayed from version 1 until version 4 when I left. I wandered through distros like Klik-it, PCLOS, Mepis, Suse, Ububtu and Sabayon. I finally settled on Linux Mint Where I am today. What will tomorrow bring? Who knows. I am a Linux user, not a geek. I don't dig deep to learn the inner bowels of Linux, I just use it. I usually fix whatever problems I have and stop digging.
If I can help you with your problems I will do my best.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Guru
Views: 6,257
Message 3 of 8

My first contact with ThinkPads was through a T20, assigned to me by my employer for field use...great little machine, still alive after all the abuse it has survived, and in good shape apart from one dead pixel that has been there for the last three years...

First personal one has been an A20m, followed by an A22p that I've bought thinking I was buying an A22m....Smiley Surprised
From that point on, I've become a high-resolution addict...buying my first A31p in 2002 and pretty much staying on that path.

I'm a Linux newbie, but a fairly passionate one, trying out and testing anything and everything that I bump into...currently running Freespire, Mint and Kubuntu on different machines, with SuSE waiting to be installed on the fourth one...have to find my favourite distribution yet. In the past, it has been PCLOS. Looking forward to learning a lot more, especially from people who are serious about their Linux like carbon unit and harryc...
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 6,251
Message 4 of 8

Harryc is probably more of a guru than I am but I will be glad to help out when I can.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Former Employee
Views: 6,241
Message 5 of 8

I'm nowhere near a Guru...

I first came close to a ThinkPad back in 98 (I recall it was a 380), thanks to my brother. I had to wait until I was hired by IBM to get back to them. Longest 7 years in my life!! Robot Mad

I personally own a T60p and have a T60 and an R50e from work. I hit a total of 5 ThinkPads at home a couple of months ago I had to return a couple because my wife was threateing to divorce me.

I have tried SUSE enterprise, OpenSUSE, Gentoo, Red Hat, Madriva and Ubuntu on several machines. My main Linux TP is the R50e, which gets a whole new life by taking advantage of a real OS. I'm quite in love with Ubuntu for the time being and trying to do some evangelization all around.

My near term plans towards Linux involve massive testing on the T60 once my *new* system arrives.

Nice to meet you all!
Retired Guru
Views: 6,216
Message 6 of 8

I have been running Linux on Thinkpads for many years, but my real expertise is with OpenSUSE. The thing about Linux is that once you know about the underlying OS structure it applies to many distros. I've run Fedora, PCLinuxoS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Knoppix, Mepis, DSL, Vector, Xandros, Yoper, Dreamlinux and others. Obviously my preference is toward Debian based distros. Glad to help if I can.
demerson3
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,096
Message 7 of 8

Re: Debian Woody

Debian Woody is no longer maintained. Its successor, Sarge, is now the "oldstable" version, and will soon end its maintenance life as well. Thus, there are no longer any apt updates for Woody.

However, you can still use the repository found at archive.debian.org

first post! now I guess I'd better go ask my own question...

~David.

Message Edited by demerson3 on 12-06-2007 11:58 AM
welp
Paper Tape
Views: 5,848
Message 8 of 8

Well, I'm a Gentoo developer... Been using ThinkPads for quite a while now, started with an A20m, on which I installed Fedora Core 4. Currently "using" a broken T41 (screen is broken and it refuses to charge), but have a T61 on the way!

I currently maintain for Gentoo the tp_smapi package, which provides HDAPS, and am planning to re-do the ebuilds to make it easier for Gentoo users to get up and running with all the features ThinkPads have to offer :-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors