Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 8 (7,525 Views)

Lenovo Legion Y520 - Linux Support

Reports from some users on Lenovo Forums say that their laptop is BIOS locked to "RAID" storage mode again and that installing Linux to their SSD is a no-go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6exb6e/lenovo_locking_linux_out_of_at_least_a_couple_of/

Do I expect to have any such problems on the Legion Y520?

I will majorly using linux (Probably Ubuntu Mate) for development purposes.

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 8 (7,180 Views)

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 - Linux Support

Hi!

Before I buy a Lenova, I’m wondering if other users experienced trouble installing Ubuntu Linux on the Legion Y520. I couldn't find any experience with Linux and this machine at all. For me, it's not necessary to run a Windows-Linux dual boot situation. Just Linux is fine. The question is whether Ubuntu supports all hardware properly or not.

Hope to hear soon from you,

a candidate Lenovo owner Smiley Wink

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 8 (7,156 Views)

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 - Linux SupportI

I have been using Ubuntu/Win10 dual boot for a while and so far everything is good.  The RAID configuration can be switched to AHCI in BIOS, and all hardware seem to work just fine. Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti driver installs as expected in both Ubuntu and windows.

Here is a few tweaks needed:

(1) wifi card hard block can be fixed with a single command:

see: https://askubuntu.com/questions/893384/wifi-doesnt-work-on-fresh-ubuntu-16-04

(2) UTC/local time tweak for dual boot

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 8 (7,154 Views)

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 - Linux SupportI

Thanks for your reply sahfdoiwa!
The tweaks you mentioned could be helpfull Smiley Happy

What's your overall experience? Is Ubuntu just as fast as Windows?

Cheers!

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 8 (7,151 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi marque,

I got the machine a day ago and just set up Ubuntu MATE dual booted with the pre-loaded Windows 10. It's working quite well now. But I did experience some problems setting it up.

1. Had to change to AHCI mode in BIOS, default was Intel RST. Or else Ubuntu installation was not detecting the hard drives.

2. WiFi and Bluetooth were Hard-Blocked for Ubuntu MATE. Had to install using Ethernet.

> Once installed, when it booted up, WiFi and Bluetooth were still Hard-Blocked.

Fix: Added `blacklist ideapad_laptop` at the end of the file "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" and reboot.

3. After Ubuntu MATE was set up, when I tried booting up windows, Windows MBR wasn't able to find the drives and threw a Blue Screen of Death.

Fix: Enter Safe Mode in windows from Recovery settings/Advanced Options and wait for 5 mins or so... Reboot. And done, Windows is working.

Currently the system is working as it should, no problemo

<edit>

Thanks to sahfdoiwa, He already answered many questions.

Dual-Boot Time Fix: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/09/dual-boot-fix-time-differences-between.html

</edit>

Hope this helps.

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 8 (3,901 Views)

Hi all

I have installed dual boot W10 + Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS in my Legion Y520

Everything went ok in the installation. Only problem was the wifi card "hard block" issue , apparently solved following the instructions of the link shared before (https://askubuntu.com/questions/893384/wifi-doesnt-work-on-fresh-ubuntu-16-04)

The main problem that I am facing now is that wifi network seems to fail after 5 or 10 minutes using it. I start to see problems while using firefox, and after this a get a message in the screen, saying that WIFI connection is OFF

If I reboot the computer, the the cycle begins again...

Did you have the same experience? did you find a solution?

Thank you all!

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 8 (3,744 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem than MrJL on my Lenovo Y520 on Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 : the wifi disconnects after a random period, and a restart fix it before it happends again... I have no problem through ethernet. Any idea?

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 8 (3,217 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks! This reminds me to my efforts to dual boot Win7 next to Ubuntu on my HP Envy notebook. Windows had the dominant policy to claim the PC just for itself. (common UEFI-issue?) I ended up erasing Windows entirely. Now Ubuntu runs smooth & peacefully alone. Smiley Happy

B.T.W. Are there more arguments for you guys to buy a Lenovo, except the interesting price?

Top kudoed Authors