Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sebastian321
What's DOS?
Views: 10,763
Message 11 of 39

Re: Lenovo y510p and Linux

I got my Lenovo y510p today and tried to install Linux Mint 16 XFCE.

I used a live-CD for booting. On booting the CD offered me something like:

* Booting Linux Mint 16 XFCE without Installing

* Booting Linux Mint 16 XFCE in secure mode without Installing

When I chose "* Booting Linux Mint 16 XFCE without Installing" the booting got stuck somewhen. On the second attempt I chose * "Booting Linux Mint 16 XFCE in secure mode without Installing" which succeeded and brought me to a proper Desktop after 2 Mins. Everything worked just fine, so I installed Linux Mint with a graphical installator. Installation went smooth but after a restart the booting (now from harddisk and not in secure mode I suppose) got stuck again. The last error I got was: "RIP [<ffffffffa022acb0>] nve4_graph_init+0x250/0x7e0 [noveau]"

I will try it with Ubuntu studio. Hope this works, otherwise I try sabayon.

sebastian321
What's DOS?
Views: 10,747
Message 12 of 39

No luck with sabayon. But I managed to get Linux Mint 16 xfce up and running on my Lenovo y510p. =)

First I booted it in "recovery mode" (hold left Shift-Key down during startup to see the grub menu.) This mode starts very nicely and there I just had to normally install the nvidia drivers (nvidia-current-updates version 304.108-0ubuntu1 and noveau-firmware version 20091212-0ubuntu1) from the repository via the softwaremanager. Then I restarted and I could boot in normal mode and now everything seems to work.

Maybe it is helpful that I post here the display information I got with the command lshw in the terminal:

*-display
                Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller
                Produkt: GK107M [GeForce GT 755M]
                Hersteller: NVIDIA Corporation
                Physische ID: 0
                Bus-Informationen: pci@0000:01:00.0
                Version: a1
                Breite: 64 bits
                Takt: 33MHz
                Fähigkeiten: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                Konfiguration: driver=nvidia latency=0
                Ressourcen: irq:16 memory:c0000000-c0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:4000(Größe=128) memory:a2000000-a207ffff
        *-display
             Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller
             Produkt: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
             Hersteller: Intel Corporation
             Physische ID: 2
             Bus-Informationen: pci@0000:00:02.0
             Version: 06
             Breite: 64 bits
             Takt: 33MHz
             Fähigkeiten: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             Konfiguration: driver=i915 latency=0
             Ressourcen: irq:45 memory:c2000000-c23fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:5000(Größe=64)

sebastian321
What's DOS?
Views: 10,690
Message 13 of 39

Mm no it's not working properly. Watching videos (any format, any resolution) freezes the system. Couldn't find a proper way to find and install the right drivers from nvidia. Now I am thinking about returning my lenovo to the store. Because also the touchpad is a bit wacky.  - Lenovo y510p -I am a bit disappointed by this machine.

Jodahr
What's DOS?
Views: 10,668
Message 14 of 39

Hello everybody and a happy new year,

I got a y510p for christmas and after some complications I got everything to work. I have now a fully working dual boot machine ( Win8.1 and Ubuntu 13.10). I still use the noveau driver for the nvidia card and optimus is not working and not needed in my case. For gaming and other stuff I use the Win8.1 dist.

If i remember correctly I have installed ubuntu in legacy mode whyle using the option "nomodeset" in the boot section. The only problem I got was a black screen. This was only due to a low birghtness which I could change with fn+arrow up. This happens every time so I start a script at each boot to fix that problem. Right now everything is working. To get a nice dual booting system maybe I have used boot repair after the installation of ubuntu 13.10. 

I really like the laptop and it is working wonderful! 

Cheers,

Marcel

*-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: GK107M [GeForce GT 755M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:16 memory:c0000000-c0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:a2000000-a207ffff
        *-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:49 memory:c2000000-c23fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,688
Message 15 of 39

I have very recently been able to install archlinux in my Y510p as a dual boot with Windows 8.1.

There is a thread at:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177356

and I added a section on a dual boot install method using the rEFInd boot manager at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd#A_dual_boot_setup_for_Archlinux_and_Windows_8.1_using_rE...

Maybe this will help?

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,850
Message 16 of 39

I just purchased a Lenovo y510p and have not recieved it yet. Having said that, I thought the Lenovo y410-510p series has BIOS motherboards not UEFI.

If this is the case, then many of you may be formatting your drive using GUID Partition Tables instead of MBR when installing Linux .

Just a thought!

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,835
Message 17 of 39

I have a Y510p and it boots just fine under uefi....

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,813
Message 18 of 39

Checked the manual again, and it does reference both! Guess I did not search for UEFI and only BIOS. Good news, since I was dissapointed that Lenovo would still be using old technology .Smiley Happy

Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy!

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,795
Message 19 of 39

For the Y510p that I have I posted some links at message 14 of this thread that describe the install method. The laptop BIOS settings allow you to select whether the machine will boot under only UEFI, or UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot. In my case I left the setting so that it would boot in either UEFI or legacy mode and if the operating system being booted supports uefi then it will boot using it. The laptop came with Windows 8 which boots with uefi, and when I updated to Windows 8.1 it also boots that way. To add linux it is important to switch off Secure Boot in the BIOS settings and check that Windows still boots OK, and then from within Windows 8 or 8.1 to switch off fastboot otherwise it will go into hybrid suspend when shutting down Windows which is not compatible with booting back into Windows if Linux is booted between the last Windows shut down and the next Windows boot. Then shrink the Windows C: drive from within Windows 8/8.1 using its disk management facility to make space for the linux partitions you need.

The details of the linux install for a dual booted system depend on which distribution of Linux you are working with.

The hard drive was already pre-formatted with a GPT partition table so yes the "boot device" is GPT. I use rEFInd as my boot manager which automatically detected both the original Windows 8,1 efi boot files in the EFI System Partition, as well as the Arch Linux kernel and initial ramdisk that I generated during the install. There are different boot managers and boot loaders available that will boot both Windows and Linux, so although I used rEFInd it is also possible to use Grub, Gummiboot and even boot the linux kernel directly provided the kernel is built with efistub support.

Once the system is installed and the boot manager installed then it is necessary to write suitable NVRAM entries in the motherboard boot memory chip using a facility such as efibootmgr.

What I would suggest is to do lots of reading before attempting to install any dual boot system so that you understand the way it all works but in fact uefi is simpler than the legacy boot method especially using rEFInd or gummiboot.

I hope this helps.

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,788
Message 20 of 39

Thanks for the response! I just recieved this laptop today and I'm excited to get started.

I'm not really concerned about installing Linux and I am probably going to reformat the drive to get rid of all the garbage partitions that Lenovo has included on the disk. I'm also not sure if I want to keep Windows 8. What little I have seen of it has not impressed.

My big concern is definitely with getting SLI to work on Linux. Unfortunately, I've heard that there are some issues with that Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors