Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,727
Message 1 of 60

Linux on Ideapad D330

I have been attempting to install Ubuntu 18.04 on my new Lenovo D330. It has a Intel UHD Graphics 605.

While I can get to grub (try ubuntu/install ubuntu) I cannot get beyond that unless I add nomodeset to the boot option. If I don't do this, I get a black screen.

When I add nomodeset, I can get to the desktop, however it looks like this: https://imgur.com/CUOC1Z4

And when I try to swap to a tty after getting to the desktop, it is also unreadable: https://imgur.com/jgq8kKF

Has anyone had success at getting any distribution on to one of these?  Looks like a vid card problem?

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 3,530
Message 2 of 60

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

I managed to get Antergos with Gnome working yesterday. So far it is lokking pretty good. Wifi works right out of the box and the Fn keys are working as well, except for the one to lock your trackpad. Touchscreen works like a charm.

However I encountered a few problems during the installation. If someone needs a quick walkthrough of what i did I con Post it here.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,486
Message 3 of 60

I managed to get things installing fine.

With 4.15 kernel (Ubuntu 18.04) touchscreen wasn't working, it works fine on 4.18 (Ubuntu 18.10) along with everything else except for screen rotation.

Did you get screen rotation working?  If so, would love to hear what you did.

I set gfxpayload to 800x1280 and nomodeset in grub and I can get to desktop just fine.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 3,461
Message 4 of 60

I got it working just in this moment and it works perfectly.

I used iio-sensor-proxy https://github.com/hadess/iio-sensor-proxy#accelerometer-orientation

It should be part of the xenial packages. After insatllation reboot your machine. Your desktop will have a random orientation but it should switch if you change the position of your screen. Run monitor-sensor in a terminal it should give you a few lines of information about the accelometer.

The problem is that Lenovo diddn't align the sensor to the display so we have to tell the sensor which way to orientate.

To do so we have to add our device with the accelometer correction.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/hwdb/60-sensor.hwdb

According to this we need a parent device name and an dmi-string.

For the parent device name run   cat /sys/`udevadm info -q path -n /dev/iio:device0`/../modalias
The output should look like this: acpi:BOSC0200:BOSC0200:

the dmi-string can be found in /sys/class/dmi/id/modalias . Acccording to the description you just need a few parts of the dmi-string, but i couldn't figure out which ones are necessary so i copied the whole string. It still works.

create /etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-sensor-local.hwdb and add the string

for my laptop it looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-12-19 17-09-41.png

sensor:modalias:acpi:BOSC0200*:dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8NCN30WW:bd10/22/2018:svnLENOVO:pn81H3:pvrLenovoideapadD330-10IGM:rvnLENOVO:rnLNVNB161216:rvrSDK0J91196WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct32:cvrLenovoideapadD330-10IGM:
 ACCEL_MOUNT_MATRIX=0, 1, 0; -1, 0, 0; 0, 0, 1

the first line is the matched string and the second line controls the accelometer. Be sure to add the the spacebar in front of the line with ACCEL... otherwise you will get an error.

The orientation can be configured by changing the axis  at ACCEL_MOUNT_MATRIX=x, x, x; y, y, y; z, z, z but my config should work for you.

Run sudo systemd-hwdb update

and sudo udevadm trigger -v -p DEVNAME=/dev/iio:device0

after a reboot everything should be working fine.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,408
Message 5 of 60

Hi,

I followed your instructions but unfortunately no luck. monitor-sensor is working correctly and file was setup fine (to my knowledge)

As a simple test, can I ask if xrandr --output default --rotate left works for you?  I get 'output default cannot use rotation "left" reflection "none"'.  I'm curious that if yours works and mine doesn't, if that's why it does not rotate on sensor picking up a change in orientation.

My grub config has gfxpayload=800x1280 and a nomodeset on "linux..." line.  What grub settings are you on?  Could you also show me your xorg.conf? Alternatively, I can try your distro or other driver(s) you have setup. 

Great writeup by the way, massively useful.

EDIT: tried live booting Antergos and failed

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,402
Message 6 of 60

I guess further to this, when I run monitor-sensor again, it still says the orientation is undefined (but picks up orientation changes). Is that the same for you?

Trying to confirm if my changes as per your instructions were done correctly.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 3,343
Message 7 of 60

Hi,

I don't use xrandr because it doesn't rotate tochscreen/touchpad input on Lenovo ideapad Yoga2 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_IdeaPad_Yoga_2_Pro#Rotation/Conversion

Antergos/gnome3 uses wayland instead of x.org. Maybe this is the reason why it works for me.

As for my Grub config, i diddn't add any boot options it just works. I still get a scrambled screen after selecting the grub entry but it changes back to normal when the desktop is loaded.

Did you compare your dmi-string to mine? if there is a slight difference it might not work.

It could be that your iio-device is different, if you look in /dev/ is yours called iio-device0 as well?

My monitor-sensor output picks up the changes correctly.

When you are booting the Antergos live media it gives you a choice between 2 live options. You have to choose the first one( boot as cd media). Let yout laptop sit and boot for about 2 minutes, the screen still shows nothing, then push the standby button and wait until it blinks. Push it again and the desktop should appear, mine was 90° off.

If yours is too simply right-klick on the desktop go to settings and set the resolution to minimum. After that you should be able to rotate your screen in the same menu. It is possible that you just see a small stripe of the desktop in the middle of the screen. As soon as you set the resolution to maximum everything should look fine.

I know this sounds a little bit like vodoo but it was the only way to get it working.

Hook up your wifi and you can start installing.

If you want a dual-boot installation follow this guide

https://antergos.com/wiki/de/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

I ran into some problems with the automatic installation of grub, so i had to install it manually.

https://antergos.com/wiki/miscellaneous/how-to-fix-grub-with-efi-boot/

I really hope this can help you

TheOnlyJxnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,012
Message 8 of 60

I know that it's a bit late but I need some help with this. I tried this on my Lenovo but it's hanging on the Black Screen. I tried this several times. I did everything like you said in the "guide/tutorial" for the Antergos Linux. Can you please help me? I also need to say one thing: When i try to go on the CD boot, it says that it can't find the needed files, why? I downloaded everything I need, and I also downloaded the "full Version" of Antergos. Sorry if my english is bad, I come from Germany.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,002
Message 9 of 60

I didn't have any luck with this. You can get past black screen by adding nomodeset to the boot option but you're effectively stuck on desktop with no ability to rotate after. I'll be trying some more things once I'm back home after next week.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 2,976
Message 10 of 60

Hi.

did you disable secure boot in the Bios? It can be a real pain.

Which black  screen are you hanging at?

Greetings from Germany 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors