Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sph87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,806
Message 1 of 7

Linux on Yoga 2 13 (not pro) - suspend resume issues

Hello,

I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (not pro) and almost everything is working out of the box, however I'm experiencing a single issue that unfortunately is a deal-breaker for me: sometimes the computer does not wake up from suspend.

I tried to suspend by both closing the lid or by entering pm-suspend, however the result is the same. Most of the times it suspends and resume correctly, but sometimes (maybe once a day) when I open the lid the keyboard (which has backlight) lights up and the fan starts to spin (as normal when resuming) but the screen says completely black. I tried shortcuts to drop to console mode but with no success... the only thing I can do is to force shutdown by keeping power button pressed. The issue seems to be random, I'm not able to reproduce it (for instance it does not depend on the amount of time the computer has been sleeping, but it seems to happen more frequently when on battery power).

Previously I tried with older versions such as 14.04, 15.04, 15.10 and even Fedora 22 and 23 but the issue persists, so it is not linked to a specific version. My Yoga 2 13 has i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel 7260 WIFI and Intel HD 4000 graphics.

With Windows 10 this does not happen. Someone advises to turn off USB3 in BIOS but I found no such option for my model, in other cases (with other laptops) the issue was solved by Lenovo with new specific BIOS updates (I'm using the lastest 1.17).

Does anyone have any suggestion? Thank you!

sph87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,784
Message 2 of 7

Re: Linux on Yoga 2 13 (not pro) - suspend resume issues

After a lot of investigation I think I got to the root of the problem. My computer came with a 500GB SSHD that I immediately replaced with a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD which seems to be among those that do not cope very well with Linux. In particular after suspend the SSD gets disconnected, so it is not possible to resume and I get the black screen. Fortunately it was not necessary to buy another one but it was enough to add these parameters to kernel options at boot:

libata.force=1:nohrst,1.00:noncq

nohrst prevents hard resets on SATA port (this is the option that solved the issue) and noncq disables native command queuing that caused some random lags while using the computer. The 1.00 value before colon is the identifier assigned by libata to my SSD (SATA port 1 device 00), for nohrst option only the port ID (1) must be specified.

I tried to suspend/resume a lot of times with no problems... I hope things will stay this way.

Finally I can enjoy Ubuntu on my Yoga 2 13 :-)

makaronin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,728
Message 3 of 7

I have a similar problem with Ubuntu that boots from 128GB SD card on 710s Ideapad. I'll appreciate if somebody can tell what kernel parameters should be in order to prevent SD card from being unmounted after suspend.

attila123456
What's DOS?
Views: 2,535
Message 4 of 7

I just signed up to say thanks. I've struggled with this suspend/resume issue on my yoga 2 for a long time and now it's working great! It has the standard 500GB hybrid hard drive so I'm guessing that little 8 GB SSD in the drive was causing the freezes this whole time.

On a side note - how on earth did you find the root cause? Did you use the regular kernel suspend debugging tools?

sph87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,498
Message 5 of 7

I'm glad I could help :-)

It took me a lot of time to figure this out, mainly because I was looking the wrong way... I would never imagined that an SSD drive could cause such problems on Linux.

Just a little before becoming crazy I noticed a suspect message in one of system logs (in /var/log ... I don't remember exactly which one) and a google search did the rest.

Anyway I must admit that this does not fix the issue completely... since then I got another black screen, however it happens a lot less and not in daily base as before.

attila123456
What's DOS?
Views: 2,369
Message 6 of 7

Yes, I saw that too. However, since upgrading to 16.10, I haven't seen a single freeze.. Very happy.

RickyGoldsmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,261
Message 7 of 7

@sph87 wrote:

I'm glad I could help :-)

It took me a lot of time to figure this out, mainly because I was looking the wrong way... I would never imagined that an SSD drive could cause such problems on Linux.

Just a little before becoming crazy I noticed a suspect message in one of system logs (in /var/log ... I don't remember exactly which one) and a google search did the rest.

Anyway I must admit that this does not fix the issue completely... since then I got another black screen, however it happens a lot less and not in daily base as before.

Even I don't think the drive is related to the cause of the hang. From what I've debugged so far, the issue is with the CPU getting locked during resumption.

But given the nature of the bug, I haven't really, yet, been able to nail the bug. :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors