Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbao
Punch Card
Views: 4,990
Message 1 of 35

Linux status of Fibocom L850-Gl

---Disable pcie 04:00.0 during boot; fibocom card does disabled and not visible under lspci. But USB interface does not on.

---Tape off PCIE pins 41,43,47,49 on L850-GL card (using 0.024mm tape, width 2.5mm, front side), UEFI report unauthorized device before boot.

So at this moment, Fibocom won't be able to run under Linux, unless:

1) Lenovo provide BOIS update that can disable wwan pcie intertace, or

2) Intel provide pcie linux driver

Fibocom will NOT work, so don't order if you intend to run it under Linux.

Also, Qualcom 7455 card will not work with x1y3. It is not on the white list.

dexcs
Paper Tape
Views: 4,586
Message 2 of 35

Re: Linux status of Fibocom L850-Gl

I have the same problem. Hopefully lenovo will bring a solution asap...

superadmin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,136
Message 3 of 35

Just bought a brandnew, completely maxed out Carbon X1 Gen6. Purgin useless Windows and installing Linux is the first thing I did on boot and now I have no WWAN which I paid for and therefore are legally entitled to the functionality of this feature.

I urge you Lenovo to fix the issue and provide support for the most used and most reliable Operating System in the ICT industry.

rfox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,674
Message 4 of 35

Disappointing to say the least!  I just replaced my reliable but older Thinkpad X220 with a well configured Carbon Gen 6 - The fact that the sleep modes, LTE card and fingerprint reader are Windows specific is disappointing considering Thinkpads/Lenovos history of being compatible with Linux.  When you go to the manufacturers page for the Fibocomm L850-GL it states "OS Driver:Win10/Android*/Linux/Chrome OSHere

**bleep** - Why can't we have the Linux drivers??

Same with fingerprint reader!

And the sleep issue could be easily recolved if Lenovo simply changes the BIOS to support the older S03 state for compatibility.

Shameful - I'm starting to regret my purchase.

mykolas
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,167
Message 5 of 35

Would be really nice to have it working on Linux, but for me it even doesn't work on Windows: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-WWAN-SIM-not-detected/td-p/... .

So as someone already pointed out, it is not worth buying this laptop just for this feature, at least for now.

joshuaspence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,043
Message 6 of 35

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am also facing this issue.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,915
Message 7 of 35

There is a lot of "buzzing" industry wide about this situation... I am unsure what will become of it.

HP, Dell and others that adopted the Fibocom platform are having similar issues from what I have been told.

For now - go with what works, and wait to see what "fixes" are applied.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 1,463
Message 8 of 35

Hi Lenovo,

We just need one more bios option for the X1C6 to work in linux.  Version 1.30 with the s3 support has really helped.  But we simply need one more option to force the WWAN card into USB mode and need the Bios to allow boot up in this mode as well.

The drivers exist for this card in this mode, we are so close.

I have contacted Fibocom in China and they claim that this is your fault for not having this capability.

Please let us know if you can help!

To everyone else - what are other new laptops that come with this capability that confirmed work in linux.  I bought this computer last summer and am wishing to use the wwan in linux since then.

rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 1,324
Message 9 of 35

Bumping this, hoping to get a reply from Lenovo.

This card is in all new Lenovo laptops.  X series Yoga, T480, etc.

We would really like this to work in Linux.  Please let us know if Lenovo can support us in this mission.

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 1,302
Message 10 of 35

I got a Lenovo version of Sierra Wireless EM7565 (1103489, Lenovo PN SW10M73253) and found at least it is not on the white list of X1 Yoga 20LD. So at this time I can say Fibocom L850-GL, FRU 01AX786 is the only one on the white list. Rumor about EM7565 is not true.

As a matter of fact, EM7565 has not been approved by FCC.  Probably will never.

Fibocom L850 is indeed a Lenovo problem, it is Lenovo that blocks the access to USB port.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors