Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dexcs
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 11 of 35

Re: Linux status of Fibocom L850-Gl

Same, here... Wating on Lenovo for a fix...

duvh93
What's DOS?
Views: 667
Message 12 of 35

scared it might be a long wait...I am quite regretting the purchase

rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 553
Message 13 of 35

Would love to have an update from Lenovo.   Any chance they even read these forums?

SeniorGuru
Views: 507
Message 14 of 35

This is a peer to peer forum, users helping users in here.... As for Lenovo making a driver - that is the hardware manufacture's responsability not Lenovo's.  Go after Fibocom for the driver, it makes more sense.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 487
Message 15 of 35

Have contacted Fibocom. They claim they have a driver and that it is Lenovo’s responsibility to ensure that the driver works.

So we are in a bit of a pickle.  The driver exists but the card needs to be set to USB mode in the bios. This option is not in the menu for the bios.  This effects x1c6, T480, and X1 yoga, maybe others as well.

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 463
Message 16 of 35

@CBHedricks wrote:

This is a peer to peer forum, users helping users in here.... As for Lenovo making a driver - that is the hardware manufacture's responsability not Lenovo's.  Go after Fibocom for the driver, it makes more sense.

CB

As a matter of fact, Lenovo is the one to be blamed. It is Lenovo who blocks the access to USB port at UEFI level. While Intel woking on XMM7360 PCI-USB bridge driver, we, the end users at least have an option to run L850 under linux if Lenovo did not block USB access.

I doubt opening access to USB will affect FCCID. L850-GL FCCID was certified under PICe, USB2.0 and USB3.0.

SeniorGuru
Views: 435
Message 17 of 35

Drivers for add in cards (WiFi, Graphics Cards, etc...) are not Lenovo's responsibility, they are the responsibility of the manufacture (Intel, AMD, etc...) to provide Lenovo with certified drivers for Windows and if they so choose Linux operating systems integration.   Microsoft and the Linux (your distro of choice) Operating System developers will also be responsible for any generic drivers that they choose to supply - as long as the manufacture follows the API interface specs for the respective OS.

When someone states that Lenovo is responsible for making drivers for WiFi cards and other add in options is like stating Chevy is responsible for a Kenwood car stereo installed by Car Toys.  Essentially - the only thing Lenovo can do is provide you with a choice of optional parts that "may" work with Linux... Ultimately the end user is responsible for making sure that all the hardware installed into a computer will be "workable" with their chosen OS.  If you can look into the manual for your notebook (Maintenance Manual) and look up the parts list for replacement WiFi cards - choose an Intel card as they are the most Linux friendly of the bunch...  Second to that would be Broadcom as most Linux distros support them.

Last choice would be to jump on the Linux distro's forums and see if anyone has had good results with a WiFi card found in the parts listings for your notebook.  Researching options before purchasing is always going to be the best option to exercise.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
superadmin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 411
Message 18 of 35

@CBHedricks

When someone states that Lenovo is responsible for making drivers for WiFi cards and other add in options is like stating Chevy is responsible for a Kenwood car stereo installed by Car Toys.

I think that's a quite horrible comparison with the current situation. This would be a more accurate comparison: I am buying a BMW (Lenovo) and there is a SatNav with Simcard in it (Fibocom), but in 95% of the world (Internet aka Unix Infrastructure) it won't run, because BMW forgot to mention that the SatNav supports only Seattle area (Microsoft).

I am working in a team of 30 IT/Software Engineers for the top tier financial institution of europe. 95% of or team uses Linux or Unix-based computers to write, test and maintain our Web-/Linux-/Kubernetes-based code. If Lenovo does not provide working product for Unix/Linux-based Environments I will simply switch back to MacOS where Unix is properly supported.

I don't  give a rats ass about who or what is responsible for mal-functioning product. Me, as the buyer IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for mal-functioning product.

Lenovo delivers mal functioning product. The only option for non-working product is to throw it into /dev/null.

rfox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 399
Message 19 of 35

Look at my previous past (#5) - According to the Fibocom website, their are supposed to be linux drivers availabe somewhere - but Lenovo doesn't help us get them.  If Lenovo is offering their product with these compnents and won't support Linux users, it's time to move on . . .

It's a real shame . . .

SeniorGuru
Views: 393
Message 20 of 35

Fibocom does not make Linux drivers, they only state that "someone else came up with them for linux" off my chat with the support team on 10/1 of this year.

The point I was making is this - Lenovo is not the one responsible for creating drivers for third party hardware, even for Windows. They can only provide what is included with the hardware from the hardware manufacture.

If you want to use a driver from some other source, good for you - but it will not be a "officially supported" option - meaning you will have limited choices when it comes to support options.

If you can find a driver for Linux for the Fibocom hardware - GREAT!

Just be sure to research the creator of the driver, ping them for support or help if needed,

CB

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors