Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 3 (1,113 Views)

Looking for the pefect Linux Netbook

Hi all.

I'm making this first thread on the forum after reading it as an anonymous user for a couple of weeks.

There is much interesting stuff in here, but I haven't quite found what I want answers to.

I'll first of state my needs:

I'm in of a netbook that has a bit more than 1024x600 res (e.g 1366x768), capable of 5+ hours, 2gb ram, ssd and is fully linux compatible. I can't really spend a fortune either, so the lower cost the better.

A bit of my background: I got a masters degree in Marine construction and Computer Science. I've had a linux computer available since Redhat 2.0 was made available (thats long time ago). My favorite distro is Gentoo, and thats what I intend to put into my new netbook. I got a CCACHE server running so building gentoo will be no problem.

So to the discussion I had with myself:

1. The ability to run linux highly depends on the hardware. Most important is the Chipset and the CPU. The chipset contains about everything these days. Harddrive controller, Display/graphics-controller, USB controller and on it goes. Via C7-m is outrun by the Atom processor. The most frequently used Atom's are Z5x0, N2x0 and N4x0. I think the most interesting one is the Z series. It got the lowest TDP (2W). N2x0 got 2.5W and N4x0 got 5.5w. So The two first ones would be the smartest Choice.

Next challenge is the Chipset. Most netbooks fall into one out of three chipsets. S15w (poulsbo), 945GSE and ION.

S15w is in its own class when it comes to TDP, 2.3W. 945GSE does 6W and ION consumes 15.5W.

Of course this is all theoretical and highly dependent on the power saving technology behind it all.

I've already ignored the N4x0 series of CPUs. So the real combinations now is:

- Z5x0 + S15w

- N2x0 + 945GSE

- N2x0 + ION.

Then there is compability again.

S15w is running GMA500 video chip. The development for Linux on this specific chip seems horrible. Google searches reveal that as of january 2009 you were officially screwed. This because some external company is developing the drivers for the chip. This really excludes a lot of good alternates. I know I'm as good as swearing in the church here, but Acer Aspire One 751h would be a really nice option if it weren't for the GMA500.

So we are back to N2x0+945/ION. I think my needs is covered by the GMA950 video chip provided by 945GSE. But it would have been fun to have a ION chip to play with. but 6W vs 15.5W is quite a lot. So here is where it all ends up.

Dear reader. Thanks for reading this far. I know many of you have the combinations mentioned above. As far as I know Lenovo S-series cover most of these combinations. For example the S12.

My questions are (for those of you who know about the 945/ION:

1. How compatible are your computers with linux?

2. How hot does these computers run. Will fans be running loud and so on?

3. Batteries on a ION vs 945?

I'm not gonna do that much gaming. I do how ever want to watch video. Its a must that power saving features will work under linux.

Hope someone out there can help me out Smiley Happy

Best regards Christian

Token Ring
Message 2 of 3 (1,090 Views)

Re: Looking for the pefect Linux Netbook

Check here if you do not get any answers in this forum. Someone installed a distro in one (S12), it has been ~5 months so you should be able to get some feedback on the power management questions.

Currently own: X220T, X201, X200, T61 X2, X61T X3

SCSI Port
Message 3 of 3 (513 Views)

Re: Looking for the pefect Linux Netbook

I am a bit disapointed by s3t and g470 the fan is always on  ... 

but a bios update may fix this

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/lenovo# g470 s103t
Lenovo G470 | Model Name : 20078 | M fg Date: 11/03/23 | BIOS: 40CN23WW(V2.09) 06/20/2011 | CPU: i5-2410M | Linux version 3.3.4lenovog470+ (root@lap) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-4) ) #8 SMP Tue May 1 10:23:48 CEST 2012

Lenovo S10-3t | Model Name : 0651 | Mfg Date: 2010/06/08
Top kudoed Authors