Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 46,677
Message 1 of 250

P50 / P70 linux experiences ?

I am trying to make decision for a workstation. I appreciate if anyone shares his/her experiences with these new workstations with Linux. I am particularly wondering stability of any linux distro with : 

the Syklake cpu's

Discrete to Intel GPU switches

using external monitor (ports from discrete GPU)

thanks in advance. 

ilker. 

Oa421AmlCQ
Punch Card
Views: 46,608
Message 2 of 250

Re: P50 / P70 linux experiences ?

Hi, I have been using a P70 with the latest version of Ubuntu 15.10 + i3wm for work for 2 weeks now. From what I can tell its been working great so far.

I have been using the nvidia drivers and I use the prime-select command to switch between the nvidia and the intel card:

$ sudo prime-select intel 

Or

$ sudo prime-select nvidia 

and then logging out and back in.

For the external output, I tried the HDMI and the mDP via an mDP to DVI adapter and both worked fine, although only with the nvidia card selected.

The brightness keyboard buttons didnt work until I installed xfce-power-manager, but there may be another way to handle that.

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 46,540
Message 3 of 250

Oa421AmlCQ wrote:

Hi, I have been using a P70 with the latest version of Ubuntu 15.10 + i3wm for work for 2 weeks now. From what I can tell its been working great so far.

I have been using the nvidia drivers and I use the prime-select command to switch between the nvidia and the intel card:

$ sudo prime-select intel 

Or

$ sudo prime-select nvidia 

and then logging out and back in.

For the external output, I tried the HDMI and the mDP via an mDP to DVI adapter and both worked fine, although only with the nvidia card selected.

The brightness keyboard buttons didnt work until I installed xfce-power-manager, but there may be another way to handle that.

Did you need to do any tweaks to get the Ubuntu Live CD to boot? My wife has a W541 for work and getting that to boot in Ubuntu is a pain in the ass because of video driver issues.

My plan is to run Qubes OS on the P50/P50s when I pull the pin. Great hardware for what is essentially a virutalized operating system.

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 46,492
Message 4 of 250

Thank you Oa421AmlCQ for the info.Goog to know that someone worked out hybrid gpu issues.
What do you mean by " only with the nvidia card selected" , do you need to go to bios (or just soft switch) before connecting an external display ?

esit
Paper Tape
Views: 46,448
Message 5 of 250

i don't know if this is linux related, but my P70 no longer boots up after ubuntu gnome 15.10 installation.

the last time that i saw its display light up was the installation said that it is complete, and it asked me to reboot.

now after i hit the power button, keyboard backlight, cap lock, num lock light up and off, then the laptop is not responsing at all. the display is constantly dark, and i cannot even see the lenovo logo at the begining. cap lock and num lock are not reponsing: i expect to see its light going on/off when i hit it, but it just stays dark.

does any know what could be happening here?

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 46,433
Message 6 of 250

I'd try to remove then install the battery.  If it still cant hard boot it might write the error and/or beep the error message with beep codes.

vgnbkr
Paper Tape
Views: 46,376
Message 7 of 250

Would you mind letting us know which storage your are using with Ubuntu?  SSD, PCi-NVMe, or HDD?

I know the Dell 7510 is having issues with drivers for their NVMe drive right now.  Has Lenovo solved this?

Thanks,

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 46,289
Message 8 of 250

Just to give some feedback on my linux experiences.

Ubuntu based distros are not a problem. The only issue that I had was the wifi card was not detected. Running the install with hardwired connection automatically installed the correct drivers and it worked on boot. So far I have had good success with KUbuntu and Netrunner (Ubuntu base). I am planning on getting the NVMe drive and from what I have heard this is not a problem.

Oa421AmICQ posted in another thread his experience:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-availability-for-small-business/...

I really like the way Netrunner handles with the P50.

Unfortunately other distributions I have worked with have not had much luck with. Netrunner (Arch based variant) does not boot. Qubes-OS does not work either.

I will work on it later but given how well Netrunner handles I am pretty happy.

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 46,117
Message 9 of 250

Run into an issue here.

Just got my samsung drive and did an install of netrunner. (kubuntu variant)

Got a Grub install failed /dev/nvme.

Anyone got some insight into this error?

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 46,065
Message 10 of 250

I had external monitor issues, frequent crashes (of gnome-shell) on monitor disconnects due to NVIDIA drivers. I tested KDE and E19 they are also not stable with external monitor (only LXDE seemed OK). I also had issues with TTY screens when using NVIDIA.

Lenovo lists P series as Linux compatible but I don't think it is there yet. NVIDIA linux drivers are immature...

Unfortunately I decided to return P70 and purchase something whose display port are not hardwired to discrete GPU. There are not a lot of such 17inchers which are not very fancy looking for work, but I found one. Actually it is lighter and seems quiter then P70 but I'm probably going to miss the keyboard...

Top Kudoed Authors