Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 48,788
Message 1 of 250

P50 / P70 linux experiences ?

I am trying to make decision for a workstation. I appreciate if anyone shares his/her experiences with these new workstations with Linux. I am particularly wondering stability of any linux distro with : 

the Syklake cpu's

Discrete to Intel GPU switches

using external monitor (ports from discrete GPU)

thanks in advance. 

ilker. 

Oa421AmlCQ
Punch Card
Views: 48,719
Message 2 of 250

Re: P50 / P70 linux experiences ?

Hi, I have been using a P70 with the latest version of Ubuntu 15.10 + i3wm for work for 2 weeks now. From what I can tell its been working great so far.

I have been using the nvidia drivers and I use the prime-select command to switch between the nvidia and the intel card:

$ sudo prime-select intel 

Or

$ sudo prime-select nvidia 

and then logging out and back in.

For the external output, I tried the HDMI and the mDP via an mDP to DVI adapter and both worked fine, although only with the nvidia card selected.

The brightness keyboard buttons didnt work until I installed xfce-power-manager, but there may be another way to handle that.

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 48,651
Message 3 of 250

@Oa421AmlCQ wrote:

Hi, I have been using a P70 with the latest version of Ubuntu 15.10 + i3wm for work for 2 weeks now. From what I can tell its been working great so far.

I have been using the nvidia drivers and I use the prime-select command to switch between the nvidia and the intel card:

$ sudo prime-select intel 

Or

$ sudo prime-select nvidia 

and then logging out and back in.

For the external output, I tried the HDMI and the mDP via an mDP to DVI adapter and both worked fine, although only with the nvidia card selected.

The brightness keyboard buttons didnt work until I installed xfce-power-manager, but there may be another way to handle that.

Did you need to do any tweaks to get the Ubuntu Live CD to boot? My wife has a W541 for work and getting that to boot in Ubuntu is a pain in the ass because of video driver issues.

My plan is to run Qubes OS on the P50/P50s when I pull the pin. Great hardware for what is essentially a virutalized operating system.

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 48,603
Message 4 of 250

Thank you Oa421AmlCQ for the info.Goog to know that someone worked out hybrid gpu issues.
What do you mean by " only with the nvidia card selected" , do you need to go to bios (or just soft switch) before connecting an external display ?

esit
Paper Tape
Views: 48,559
Message 5 of 250

i don't know if this is linux related, but my P70 no longer boots up after ubuntu gnome 15.10 installation.

the last time that i saw its display light up was the installation said that it is complete, and it asked me to reboot.

now after i hit the power button, keyboard backlight, cap lock, num lock light up and off, then the laptop is not responsing at all. the display is constantly dark, and i cannot even see the lenovo logo at the begining. cap lock and num lock are not reponsing: i expect to see its light going on/off when i hit it, but it just stays dark.

does any know what could be happening here?

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 48,544
Message 6 of 250

I'd try to remove then install the battery.  If it still cant hard boot it might write the error and/or beep the error message with beep codes.

vgnbkr
Paper Tape
Views: 48,487
Message 7 of 250

Would you mind letting us know which storage your are using with Ubuntu?  SSD, PCi-NVMe, or HDD?

I know the Dell 7510 is having issues with drivers for their NVMe drive right now.  Has Lenovo solved this?

Thanks,

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 48,400
Message 8 of 250

Just to give some feedback on my linux experiences.

Ubuntu based distros are not a problem. The only issue that I had was the wifi card was not detected. Running the install with hardwired connection automatically installed the correct drivers and it worked on boot. So far I have had good success with KUbuntu and Netrunner (Ubuntu base). I am planning on getting the NVMe drive and from what I have heard this is not a problem.

Oa421AmICQ posted in another thread his experience:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-availability-for-small-business/...

I really like the way Netrunner handles with the P50.

Unfortunately other distributions I have worked with have not had much luck with. Netrunner (Arch based variant) does not boot. Qubes-OS does not work either.

I will work on it later but given how well Netrunner handles I am pretty happy.

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 48,228
Message 9 of 250

Run into an issue here.

Just got my samsung drive and did an install of netrunner. (kubuntu variant)

Got a Grub install failed /dev/nvme.

Anyone got some insight into this error?

ilkerk
Punch Card
Views: 48,176
Message 10 of 250

I had external monitor issues, frequent crashes (of gnome-shell) on monitor disconnects due to NVIDIA drivers. I tested KDE and E19 they are also not stable with external monitor (only LXDE seemed OK). I also had issues with TTY screens when using NVIDIA.

Lenovo lists P series as Linux compatible but I don't think it is there yet. NVIDIA linux drivers are immature...

Unfortunately I decided to return P70 and purchase something whose display port are not hardwired to discrete GPU. There are not a lot of such 17inchers which are not very fancy looking for work, but I found one. Actually it is lighter and seems quiter then P70 but I'm probably going to miss the keyboard...

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors