Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Problem installing AMD propriety drivers on Lenovo G570 laptop

[ Edited ]

I have a Lenovo G570 laptop with switchable Intel HD graphics and an AMD Radeon HD 6370M graphics card. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 and installed the AMD graphics driver from the repository. But the even after installing the drivers, Ubuntu 11.10 could not detect the AMD Radeon card. So I downloaded the new AMD driver 11.11 for Linux from the AMD website and ran it as directed. I also updated the xorg.conf file after installing the driver. The installation proceeded smoothly and the driver setup program showed that the driver had been installed successfully. But when I reboot my laptop, the booting stops before the login screen can come up, and I get a black screen with the messages that were being displayed while the booting was in progress. When I checked the xorg log file after logging in from the recovery mode, it showed a message about a Segmentation Fault.

I could not uninstall the AMD driver and there was no way I could get the laptop to boot into the login screen and I had to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10.

Has this happened to anyone and is there anyway I can troubleshoot the problem and install the proprietary AMD driver safely?

Topics: 107
Kudos: 163
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 123
0 Kudos

Re: Problem installing AMD propriety drivers on Lenovo G570 laptop

Iv'e not seen this happening in the Y560 which also runs an AMD . If you dont have a particular reason of installing only 11.10 I would suggest you could try the older versions especially the LTS ones.. The Unity interface sucks IMO Smiley Wink

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo