Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-30-2013

United States

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 1

R61 w/Ubuntu hangs in POST if rebooting while connected to wifi

2013-01-30, 3:21 AM

Hello all,

I have a ThinkPad R61 (7733-A82) on which I have installed Ubuntu 12.10.  I've found that if I initiate a (warm) reboot while I am connected to a wireless network, then the laptop hardlocks in the middle of what I think is the BIOS POST.  However, if I disconnect from the network before rebooting, then it works normally.

I have installed the BIOS-ECP firmware versions 2.30-1.08, which are the latest versions.  Versions 2.27-1.08 also have this problem.  I have not tested any other versions.

I initially reported this to the developers of the Linux wifi drivers (see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/102862, which includes a more detailed description of the symptoms).  They asked me to contact Lenovo support, but when I did so, the representative said that he was not in a position to act on this and indicated that I would be better off posting in this forum.  So here I am.

I know it would be easy to work around this issue (e.g. by unloading the wireless driver during shutdown or something like that).  But I don't think the Linux/Ubuntu developers will want to adopt such a kludge until I've at least tried to get this fixed properly.  Since this is most likely a BIOS bug, only Lenovo can help with that.

So, my questions are:

1. Has anyone else seen similar behavior from their BIOSen, especially with other OSses?
  2. Is there a way to determine if Lenovo is willing to develop and release a BIOS fix?
  3. Any idea as to who I could report this to?

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms