cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rotation
Punch Card
Views: 743
Message 1 of 15

T61p with debian shuts down due to high temperature in sensors. Not unusually hot on ventral

I have a T61p with debian. When I am heavy on CPU load and GPU load (Cuda) then sometimes the laptop powers down due to overheat. The thing is: I have the feeling, the fan does not go to its highest speed. I can only compare it to my Dell Laptop. The amount of warm air is much higher than on the T61p.

The fan is running, I cleaned the heatsinks by blowing in. I exchanged the thermal pads some time ago to paste. Arctic Silver. However, lm-sensors reports about 100 degrees in heavy load for the CPU. The lower side of the T61p gets hot, but not that hot that I would be afraid of. I would call it "normally hot for load". But the laptop powers down and "sensors" reports high values.

I installed thinkfan, but this makes nothing better. Fast speed is enabled in config.

Is it possible there are two ways to connect the fan to the laptop? Two connection ports perhaps?

Guru
Views: 727
Message 2 of 15

Re: T61p with debian shuts down due to high temperature in sensors. Not unusually hot on ventral

rotation wrote:

Is it possible there are two ways to connect the fan to the laptop? Two connection ports perhaps?

No. There's only one way to connect the fan, so if  the fan is working it's connected properly.

What CPU do you have in there?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
rotation
Punch Card
Views: 714
Message 3 of 15

Re: T61p with debian shuts down due to high temperature in sensors. Not unusually hot on ventral

A T9300

Guru
Views: 703
Message 4 of 15

I'm surprised.

Having used numerous T9300 CPUs in a variety of *61 series machines, I haven't found them to be hot-running. Then again, this was in the Windows environment.

I'm not up with latest developments of fan control software in the *nix environment, but that's something I'd be looking into, along with checking the fitment of the heatsink assembly with a fine tooth comb.

I wish I could've been more helpful, but I'm really out of suggestions at the moment. Hopefully someone with deeper knowledge of Linux than myself will chime in.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
rotation
Punch Card
Views: 694
Message 5 of 15

currently I am burning the CPU and GPU in Windows.

Everything is on 90 °Celsius so far, GPU and CPUs.

Could the heatpipe be damaged?

I don't think so, because then it wouldnt be 90° in load.

Could lm-sensors report false readings?

rotation
Punch Card
Views: 684
Message 6 of 15

After a few hours of burning in Windows everything is on 95°C.

Is this a save temperature for CPU and GPU?

rotation
Punch Card
Views: 669
Message 7 of 15

does the fan have some kind of built-in fan control? Something like a heat depending resistor which, wrongly placed, is not working correctely?

I strongly have the feeling, the fan is way too low, although more than 3000 rpm are reported.

Guru
Views: 650
Message 8 of 15

95 degrees C is dangerously close to shutdown. I wouldn't run a machine for an extended period of time when such temps are observed.

Your heatsink might be damaged, or improperly seated.

There is no control built in the fan itself.

Are you running ThinkPad Fan Control in the Windows environment?

Cheers,

George

rotation
Punch Card
Views: 641
Message 9 of 15

No fancontrol on the windows system...

rotation
Punch Card
Views: 634
Message 10 of 15

I opened the T61p again and removed the heat sink.

Everything seemed fine. After reassembly the CPU temp is about 65°C in high load. GPU 89°C.

I put some paper under the clamps holding down the heatsink down to the GPU. Now the GPU temp is 81°C in high load of GPU and CPU.

Could it be the heatsink was not mounted properly because the heatpads are a little bit thicker than paste?