Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
16x9isbad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,313
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad T520 (NW93ZMH) and Linux

Hello,

I would like to buy a new laptop and have added the Thinkpad T520 to my shortlist.

However I use Linux so I would like to have an idea what to expect.

I use Fedora and would install Fedora 15 on the Thinkpad to have the Intel Sandy Bridge

HD 3000 drivers. The extended specifications suggest that installing and working with

Linux would in general be possible.

Some small questions remain and I would appreciate answers and suggestions.

-  Do the Thinpad ACPI/APIC/LAPIC pose any problems.

-  Do the keyboard keys for multimedia, screen brightness adjustment, switching monitors,  

displaying battery status, etc. work.

-  Does the fingerprint reader work in Linux

- How about suspend, hibernate, restore/resume

- How about trackpoint and touchpad.

And last but not least, how about the 'nasty whine'' that is talked about often in the forum

Does it really accompany every machine.Smiley Happy

Alexander

Former Administrator
Views: 8,227
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad T520 (NW93ZMH) and Linux

16X9isbad,

I'm guessing you are a fan of 4:3?  Smiley Very Happy  

I've not heard any complaints about capacitor whine / high pitched noises on the T520.  Some T510's exhibited the symtom, but not all, and not everyone could hear it.  The sound was in the 15Khz to 16Khz range as I understand it.

Hopefully another member will be along with some experience regarding Fedora on this model...

Best regards,

Mark

MingJiang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,998
Message 3 of 9

I just ordered one for meself, and I am going to install Fedora 15 on it once the final release is available.

I will find out soon...

CosmicCoder
What's DOS?
Views: 7,721
Message 4 of 9

Do you have any followup on your FC15 / Thinkpad T520 experiment?  I'm interested in the T520 also but I want to be sure that it is going to work with FC15.

Rod

nick_battle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,152
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

I've just received a T420 (which I think is the same as the T520, except narrower?), and installed openSUSE 11.4.

Most things "just work". In particular, from your list, the HD 3000 is working, the sound buttons work, screen brightness buttons work, suspend/resume is OK, and the trackpoint/touchpad are fine (actually better tracking that W7, imho), battery monitoring is fine.

I'm still investigating, but there are a couple of querks. The HD graphics is basically fine for simple use, though by default KDE4 wants to perform a lot of sophisticated transparent/effects, and these were causing some problems (display corruption under menus etc). Telling KDE that the graphics is less powerful and turning off the fancy effects "fixes" that. I also noticed that it has trouble with full-screen flash (though that may be the flash plugin's fault) - it is a bit jerky, and sluggish to respond to come out of full-screen mode.

I noticed that the sound isn't very loud, even when at 100% (it's clearly audible, but I'm used to using a laptop at ~20% with 100% being deafening!)

No sign of it whining... in fact I'm amazed at how quiet and cool it runs compared to my old HP.

So I hope that Linux Sandy Bridge support will fix the graphics issues over time, otherwise I'm very pleased with it.

Cheers,
-nick
nick_battle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,095
Message 6 of 9

One other thing I've noticed since my last post: the Ricoh SD card reader isn't working under Linux (it's fine on W7, so the hardware is OK).  I gather this is a known problem with the particular Ricoh device and the SD card interface - there is some discussion about it on kernel groups, so I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.

Cheers,

-nick

kleve
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,976
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

I have a T520 on which I have installed fedora 15. It runs very well. How ever , you have to do some minor tweaks in order to make it work 100%. The track pad e.g.

I have a dual boot installation with windows 7. All the bios updates have been done in windows because it is  very well supported here.

Frank

kleve
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,969
Message 8 of 9

The only thing i'm unhappy about is the battery life, but this is an issue related to the kernel I have been told.

Under windows battery life is superb

avoloder
What's DOS?
Views: 6,808
Message 9 of 9

It works almost out of box on Ubuntu 11.04, both 32 and 64-bit.

Issues with muting/unmuting microphone, and fun is always spinning.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors