cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Klagor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 622
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Linux: Life USB boot : Keyboard and Touch pad not working

Hello Community,

Could you please help with the following issue that is very frustrating.

I try to‭ ‬re-install Linux (Manjaro) on my Lenovo X1‭ ‬Yoga‭ (‬1‭ ‬Gen‭) ‬as dual boot‭ (‬Win10‭) ‬after SSD replacement.

I can boot UEFI‭ ‬from a USB flash drive.‭ ‬Linux life USB ‬boots without issues only that after boot has finished the notebook keyboard and touch pad does not work.‭ ‬The touch screen is working.

Linux and Win10 were working without issues prior to the HW change (SSD card, followed by motherboard, screen and keyboard).

Win10 works and Linux at Grub level works, however after boot the keyboard and touchpad does not.

What I did:

Started Windows10 , rebooted need to press F12 to get to boot order, selected USB HDD, booted.
Same result. Can use the keyboard in selecting of e.g. driver free or nonfree; and then start the boot process. After boot, only touch screen works, keyboard and touchpad are not working (that is the same for current and earlier Kernel Linux versions ( tested Manjaro (Arch), Mint (Debian), Puppy (Ubuntu), Solus).

Update: When booting into Grub (Linux Mint) I can type however the letters are appearing with a 2 second delay. The typing  is not as fluent as in Win10 or MJ before the HW change.

When booting into a Linux OS only the following HW keys work i.e. FnLk, keyboard backlight (on, strong, off), no other key and also the touchpad does not work at all.

Hope that would help for trouble shooting.

What could I do next to troubleshoot this issue which must be software related.

Thank you for your interest in helping.

Kla

Klagor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 505
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Linux: Life USB boot : Keyboard and Touch pad not working

Update

further testing showed

Created a bootable image (Manjaro 17.1.10) with rufus. When booting the boot is interuped into grub rescue. Here the keyboard works perfectly (It is absolute positivly a software issue).

Creating a bootable image with etcher results in a working bootable image.

Why is the keyboard not working when the boot finishes of that image (Manjaro 17.1.10)?

How can I trouble shoot this further?

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks,

Kla

Klagor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 493
Message 3 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Linux: Life USB boot : Keyboard and Touch pad not working

UPDATE 1
When booting from life CD I can use internal keyboard to select [C] for Grub, in Grub the keyboard works, when exiting Grub (with typing exit) and reaching the “Welcome to Manjaro” screen then the internal keyboad does not work, unless I completly power-off and power-on (hard reboot) the notebook.
UPDATE 2
Connecting an external USB Keyboard and external USB mouse works. However still I don’t know which driver software to add to get the internal keyboard and touchpad working.
What I did:
Updated software sudo pacman -Syyu
Installed downgrade
Downgrade libinput- no successs (internal Keyboard not working)
Installed synaptics {sudo pacman -S synaptics} no success

Ran libinput debug-events, which confirmed that only the following keys resulted in logs
event4 KEYBOARD_KEY (-1)pressed (Fn, space)
event4 KEYBOARD_KEY (-1) released (Fn, space)
No other key works and has a log entry.

What can I do next to trouble shoot or fix this issue?

Klagor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 414
Message 4 of 4

For the the next trouble shoot step could you please let me know is there a way to disable tablet mode in the BIOS?  How could I change the tablet bios setting? Is there an advance option/switch for the BIOS? 

Many thanks,

Kla

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors