Options

4 Posts

12-04-2013

Earth

7 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad Yoga - A few issues, webcam, hibernate and screen wake.

2013-12-04, 10:59 AM

Hey everyone,

I just got my Thinkpad Yoga and it's pretty neat, ignoring the pitiful excuse for a touchpad Lenovo is sticking on everything now... I'm have some issues with the webcam and hibernation though. For reference I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 with kernel 3.12.0.

Firrt off the webcam. Chromium seems to think it finds the webcam. But when trying to use it with a web app, such as Google Hangouts, all that appears is a black screen where video should be. I also installed cheese to test is it worked at all but yet again all I get is a black screen. I tried finding the specific model using lsusb but the list doesn't have anything that specifically says webcam. Searching Google for what specifically is in it hasn't helped either, just piles of other yoga model results appear...

lsusb output

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 056a:00ec Wacom Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0483:91d1 STMicroelectronics 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 5986:029d Acer, Inc 
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f3:0254 Elan Microelectronics Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Secondly suspending and resuming, which isn't a bit issue right now, it's just an odd occurance I'm hoping might have a simple fix. In the past pushing keys on the keyboard would resume from hibernate/sleep. For some reason that only works occasionally. The power button even fails much of the time, requiring excess presses or reclosing + opening of the laptop for it to resume. On top of that when the display dims the touchpad and trackpoint don't bring it back from sleep like they did on previous thinkpads I've owned. 

Any advice or links to other posts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Options

4 Posts

12-05-2013

United States

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - A few issues, webcam, hibernate and screen wake.

2013-12-05, 20:50 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry that I don't really have much help to offer with the issues you've had running Linux on the Thinpad Yoga.  But Linux compatibility is a primary concern of mine in deciding whether to purchase one and so I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on your experience.

Do WIFI and the touch screen work reasonably well?  Do you have the Wacom digitizer with your model? How has this experience been under Linux? Have you run into anything else that doesn't work?

What kind of battery life are you getting under Ubuntu?

Finally, I'm trying to get a better understanding of the issues with the touch pad.  I've heard longtime thinkpad fans complain about it, which is certainly understandable given the efficiency of using a track-point with physical mouse buttons.  But when used as a track pad, could you comment on how it compares to something like a modern Macbook or other windows 8 ultra books with large, buttonless, trackpads?  Does two finger scrolling work on Linux? Is the trackpad experience worse on Linux than on Windows?

Thanks a lot!

-Jon

Options

4 Posts

12-04-2013

Earth

7 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2013-12-05, 23:25 PM

Hi there,

I've only had the Thinkpad Yoga for just about a week, but I installed ubuntu first thing. I haven't used Windows in roughly 8 years, so there's a few things I can't really comment on such as touchpad performance in Windows vs Linux.

As for what I can comment on, most everything is working fine under Ubuntu. The Wifi required upgrading to kernel 3.13 and disabling 802.11N until Intel decides to fix it for Linux. Once that's done though, it works fine.

I did get the model with the digitizer and it has worked flawlessly. I tried to get GIMP working with pressure sensitivity, but I'm pretty sure that only works with particular styles of pens (soft tipped pens?). The touchscreen has also worked fine. I've seen a few people reporting inaccuracies from touch and digitizer inputs, but personally I haven't noticed any.

I still need to test battery life, but I've left it unplugged for 6+ hours doing mild use such as web browsing and it's been fine. The few times I've checked the estimated time left under Ubuntu it wasn't properly callibrated yet, so it was estimating far less than I actually got.

The issue with the trackpad, at least for me, comes when you aren't running Windows. The "buttons" that now replace the physical mouse buttons for the trackpoint are 100% useless in Ubuntu since they're done in software. I've tried a few things in hopes of making them work, but nothing has helped. I did get some multi-tap stuff working which has been useful because functioning on Linux without middle click is hell.

As for how it compares to others? Well it's really shoddily put together compared to a Macbook one. Tapping to click causes the whole touchpad to depress about half a mm, not a lot but easily noticeable. Using the touchpad as the single huge button it is also causes the mouse to move away from the intended clicking location, which I believe is due to the trackpad depressing to far. Overall the trackpoint is the worst quality of the Thinkpad Yoga, it's bad enough that I've been contemplating selling this and waiting for the x140e (Lenovo's only 4th gen with physical buttons). Two finger scrolling and all works just fine, but it's far less efficient than trackpoint + middle mouse scrolling when physical buttons existed.

Hope that helps a bit.

Options

4 Posts

12-05-2013

United States

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2013-12-06, 0:06 AM

Thanks a lot for the info, that was very helpful.

One last question regarding the trackpad.  I typically don't use the physical buttons on trackpads but rely on touch tapping to single click and double tapping to initiate a drag.  Does the trackpad support these operations without relying on the physical click of the entire trackpad?  I think I could probably live with it in this case.

Oh, and out of curiosity have you tired to see whether you have pressure sensitivity with the pen in Xournal (you just need to "Enable X Input" in the menu)?  This has always been my goto Linux test for whether the Wacom driver is working properly.

Sorry to hear the device isn't working out so well for you, but I do really appreciate hearing about your experience with it.

-Jon

Options

4 Posts

12-04-2013

Earth

7 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2013-12-07, 3:33 AM

I haven't tried out xournal, I'll give it a go when I have some free time. Like I mentioned though, I'm pretty sure a different pen with a tip that moves in and out is needed for pressure sensitivity. The included pen simply has a solid tip and a single button on the side. Every waacom device I've used in the past came with a pen with a tip that moves instead.

Tapping to touch works great on the touchpad, that's what I've been using in place of the physical buttons. I've set up two finger tap to middle click and three finger tap to right click. It's not as fast as the physical buttons for me personally, but it's working okay. I'm just a picky laptop buyer and really enjoyed the trackpoint and physical buttons.

Options

4 Posts

12-04-2013

Earth

7 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2013-12-07, 4:18 AM

I tested xournal and pressure sensitivity still doesn't seem to fully work. Below is a link to a sample of some writing with xinput and pressure sensitivity enabled. You can see a small amount of variation, but for the most part a single line thickness is drawn while writing, even though I varied the pressure while making it.

http://i.imgur.com/EHAUXWM.png

Options

4 Posts

12-05-2013

United States

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2013-12-07, 13:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback and for trying out Xournal. That's interesting. I've seen videos of the pressure sensitivity working with the included pen in Windows. But, since it's not a deal breaker for me I think I'd be willing to risk not being able to get it to work.
Thanks again!
Options

4 Posts

12-05-2013

United States

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2013-12-18, 17:10 PM
I had one thought regarding the webcam. A couple of weeks ago I set up a refurbished Thinkpad T530 for my mom. The webcam didn't quite work out-of-the-box on Windows 8 because Lenovo automatically enabled a "privacy mode" setting that blocks it. All applications could see that the webcam was available but the image is just a blank box. The setting needed to be disabled from the Lenovo settings application and then everything worked fine.

I have no idea how this "privacy mode" is implemented. But as a long-shot theory, I wondered if it disables something through the driver on the webcam hardware itself. If this were the case then it might help to remove the "Privacy mode" setting on windows before trying the camera in Linux.

I don't know if this experiment is still feasible for you, but I wanted to put it out there none the less.
Options

2 Posts

05-21-2014

Frozen North

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 9 of 10

2014-05-21, 6:58 AM

Issue with suspend-resume exists for Win8.1 users as well.  It is a well documented hardware issue.  The fix proposed by a Lenovo person in forum was to disable suspend.  Not very elegant.

Options

2 Posts

05-21-2014

Frozen North

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 10

2014-05-21, 7:02 AM

Issue with suspend-resume exists for Win8.1 users as well.  It is a well documented hardware issue.  The fix proposed by a Lenovo person in forum was to disable suspend.  Not very elegant.

I will see if it is a problem when I ditch Win8.1 (what a mess), replace the SDD w/ a 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO, and load openSUSE/KDE.

Specific issues I would be interested in knowing others experiences include the digitizer pen as well as video issues, UEFI & secure boot, acceleration sensors, and key press/mappings.

Always an adventure....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete