Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maartenbe99
What's DOS?
Views: 6,784
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad x1 extreme dual boot Linux

I want to dual boot Windows 10 and OpenSUSE Leap 15 on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon.

But when I want to install OpenSUSE the installation freezes on the loading screen.

I have tried some other distributions as well such as Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. (The live image of these distributions doesn't work as well)

I did make my bootable USB-drive with Ether and Rufus with an ISO file that I have checked with the SHA256 checksum.

I did change the following BIOS setting

• Secure Boot: Disable
  • Both BIOS and UEFI boot 
  • CSM: enabled
  • No OS presets

What am I doing wrong?

xtemeuser
What's DOS?
Views: 6,663
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad x1 extreme dual boot Linux

I don't think you did anything wrong. I have the same problem even updated the bios to the latest version.
jsry
Paper Tape
Views: 6,595
Message 3 of 10

I had the same problem and fixed it by disabling the integrated graphics. You can do that in Config > Display choosing "Discrete graphics only"

Chestnut
Paper Tape
Views: 4,286
Message 4 of 10

Dont do this with a 4K Touch Screen Version and the latest Bios (might be for every Bios Version)
You will end up with a brick: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Black-Screen-Help/td-p/42...

Received my X1 Extreme today, wanted to install Ubuntu, bäm one hour and i got a very expensive paperweight...

What's DOS?
Views: 3,061
Message 5 of 10

I have the same problem. This really pisses me off.  I used to dual boot linux fine on my old thinkpad just fine.

It boots linux on a live install then freezes saying 'cpu throttling' I have the same bios settings as the op.

What the hell? Are Microsoft and Lenovo working together now to stop other Os's being installed on the machine?

Fix this problem Lenovo. I wont buy another Lenovo product if this issue isn't fixed.

BournOO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,678
Message 6 of 10

Same problem.

I had tried Ubuntu 18.04, Centos7, Fedora28, Fedora29. After few attemps, I successfully get Fedora29 installed. Hower, the screen was freezed when I tried to Login.

At last, I tried Pop!_OS, everything seems to go well now.

So, what's wrong? Is the hardware too new to install linux?

xtemeuser
What's DOS?
Views: 2,605
Message 7 of 10

I updated to the latest BIOS 1.17 released on Christmas Eve and didn't encounter any bricking with discrete GPU set,   I have been using suse Tumbleweed with Nvidia and haven't had much problem.   

j1k2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,407
Message 8 of 10

Your freeze problem is likely due to using Hybrid graphics - you need to switch to Discrete in the BIOS.

BUT: before you do so, make absolutely sure that you have BIOS 1.17 installed - that was Lenovo's Christmas Eve fix that avoids the "brick" issue.

I have Ubuntu 18.10 working on my X1E. Everything seems to work except for suspend/wake; I'm hoping that that will eventually be solved.

Chestnut
Paper Tape
Views: 2,339
Message 9 of 10

You guys have the 4K Touch Screen as well? Cause i think it was ever an issue on the full hd version.

BournOO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,326
Message 10 of 10

4K touch screen. I switch the display settings in BIOS to Discrete, BIOS version is 1.17, then I successfully get Fedora29 installed.

But I can not adjust screen light, after install the navida driver.

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

everthing working well now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors