cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tob79
Paper Tape
Views: 17,780
Message 1 of 24

Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

As per subject, after installing Ubuntu 17.10, the BIOS has been changed with two results:

1) it's not possible to save new BIOS settings - after re-booting, the old settings are restored

2) not possible to boot from the USB - not recognized anymore so for many users without a cd-rom (as per Lenovo Y50-70) we cannot change OS

I've reported this major bug on Ubuntu bug tracker here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1734147 please reply if you are affected too.

If you cannot see the post, login in and then search the post named: "Ubuntu 17.10 corrupting BIOS - many LENOVO laptops models"

So far the following models have been affected:

Lenovo Y50-70

Lenovo G40-30

Lenovo U31-70

Thank you,

Bye

Mod's Comment: Please do not start multiple posts on same issue as this only splinters the discussion. Instead, keep your current discussion updated with any additional information. Your duplicate has been removed. Thanks !

Peloritano
Paper Tape
Views: 17,682
Message 2 of 24

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

I've had the same problem. After trying different solutions, I had to remove the bios chip with hot air, read the content with a usb programmer, and flash a new chip. So now i can remove the secure boot and saving on exit...

I know this is an extreme solution, but I hope I can help someone find a simpler solution.

Mod's Edit: OP had two threads on same issue.  Merged this reply into existing discussion.

DJ-David
Paper Tape
Views: 17,675
Message 3 of 24

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

Hello, 

Same problem with lenovo G50-70. After upgraded to ubuntu 17.10 bios cannot be changed. I cannot see USB boot option. 

I have a CD-rom on my PC but I cannot boot from CD either. Any help ? Or will I have to use windows 8 forever ?

After upgrade to ubuntu 17.10 I had problem and had to delete linux and got back windows 8. 

sultantell
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,619
Message 4 of 24

hello

ı have same problem with my Z 50-70 after upgrading to ubuntu 17,10

and i have a "volsnap.sys" error on win10 after the upgrading

** i cant boot from any cd or usb

GarneshMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,207
Message 5 of 24

SOLVED *** Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

Disaster, i managed to resolved by reflashing my BIOS. 

2 Ways of doing it.

A. Solder out, use usb programmer and load the firmware, solder in back to mobo. (i did this method)

B. Use bios recovery option

- Download the correct firmware from lenovo website (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/my/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LENOVO-Z-SERIES-LAPTOPS/LENOVO-Z50-...)

- Use 7zip to extract the installer and to obtain the flash file. (isflash.fd)

- Follow the HowTo guide from https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

Good Luck!

frost4
Paper Tape
Views: 17,197
Message 6 of 24

I'm on a lenovo B40-70 with Ubuntu 17.10, which was upgraded from ubuntu 17.04. Facing these exact same issues.
Highlighted
douglasd123
What's DOS?
Views: 17,152
Message 7 of 24

Ideapad 105, same issues. So happy to have found others have the same problem, this has been driving me insane!

Jordell
Punch Card
Views: 17,146
Message 8 of 24

Same problem on my Lenovo G50-30

I had ubuntu installed and since then i cannot access bios settings.

laptop just boots to "Ubuntu boot entry not found", also tried removing HDD and Ram as told and still no luck. Smiley Sad

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 16,918
Message 9 of 24

Tried clean install Ubuntu 17.10 on IdealPad 110-15ISK had similar experience with weird bios issue. In fact at one point I boot into bios and got all the hidden settings displayed. Things like over clocking CPU, and other clock settings. Many new menu's not typically shown. I set everything to default settings and hoped for the best. Lucky on re boot bios came back with just clock and date off. Yes, something really wrong here with bios being so profoundly affected. I managed to get back to Windows 10 through USB install image. Definately not trying Ubuntu for a while. A long while.

DJ-David
Paper Tape
Views: 16,773
Message 10 of 24

Re: SOLVED *** Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS sett

I tried B method but no luck. Does USB drive need to be formated specificaly? Or just copy the isflash.fd file to it ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors