Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phrue
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,640
Message 1 of 6

Ubuntu on Thinkpad Yoga 11e?

Dear everyone,

I didn't know where to post this, so if you are an admin, please feel free to move this post.

I'd like to know if it is possible to install Ubuntu on the Thinkpad Yoga 11e. I'm completely new to Ubuntu, so don't expect any knowledge from me. Smiley Happy I've read somewhere that you need access to legacy bios for the installment. (Whatever that may be, but it seems to be crucial for OS installments...?) Is that given?

Greetings,

phrue

germanix
Punch Card
Views: 17,590
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ubuntu on Thinkpad Yoga 11e?

Hi phrue, I own 2 Thinkpad 11e models. One is the yoga model and the other a clamshell unit. The clamshell came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. As I do not like, nor use Windows, I installed Ubuntu 14.4 LTS on this model. This is a very simple installation and is automatically taken care of by the Ubuntu installer. All you need is Ubuntu on a bootable USB as the 11e model has no DVD drive (or alternatively an exterior USB DVD drive) The Ubuntu installer recognizes that Windows is installed and asks you if you want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows or if you want to format the Hard Drive and install Ubuntu only. I opted to install Ubuntu only but both methods work fine. The installer then does its job and installs Ubuntu for you. No problem at all! I did find after the installation that everythings works out of the box with the exeption of the keyboard buttons regulating the screen brightness (it is always on full brightness). Guess I need to install some driver here but have not concerned myself with this yet as I am quite happy to have full brightness. The 11e clamshell does not have a very bright screen, only 200 nits, so I would have put it on full brightness anyway.

With my 11e yoga model it is somewhat of a different story. I bought this model as a Chromebook, it comes pre-installed with Crome OS. Here too, you can install Ubuntu, not difficult at all, but using a completely different method.

I am assuming that your 11e is a Windows model, that is why I only explained the one method to you. Should this not be the case, please advise and I will explain the other.

dan85
Punch Card
Views: 16,879
Message 3 of 6

Hi germanix

Can you provide the details on how installation of Ubuntu differs on the Chrome OS version of the 11e? Is it also possible to install Windows on the Chrome OS version of the 11e? Do you know if the Windows version and Chrome version of the 11e are the same hardware, besides the difference in memory and hard drive capacity?

germanix
Punch Card
Views: 16,855
Message 4 of 6

Hi dan85,

Here the answers to your questions:-

*Do you know if the Windows version and Chrome version of the 11e are
the same hardware, besides the difference in memory and hard drive
capacity?*

The chrome version has a better screen. Full HD with IPS technology,
touch and better brightness. Also you can fold the screen all the way
around and use it as a pad. It is however in my country the more
expensive model of the two. The windows version has a lower resolution
(1368x786) no touch and no IPS. The rest of the hardware are the same
for both models apart from the memory and HD as you already mentioned.

*Can you provide the details on how installation of Ubuntu differs on
the Chrome OS version of the 11e?**
See the following Link which explains all:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

*Is it also possible to install Windows on the Chrome OS version of the
11e?*

It is not possible to install windows direct but there are other ways.
Either by installing windows in a virtual machine (inside a window on
cromeOS) or by using the software "Wine" which then lets you run your
windows applications. See the link below for more information and a "How
To".

http://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/

Hope this helps you.

I am very happy with both my 11e models. I use the Linux version at work
every day and the Crome version at home for watching films, email and
internet. on the couch. My all time favourate is my Lenovo Thinkpad X230
also running Ubuntu Linux. This is my "desktop". I have it on a base
station and connected to a large Full HD monitor. It has a 256 GB SSD +
16 GB Ram. Just awesome!

Have a nice day
germanix

Silent_Queef
What's DOS?
Views: 15,498
Message 5 of 6

Hi germanix, I also have the 11e clamshell for college and was curious if the webcam also works on ubuntu since I feel windows 8.1 is not the best OS for optimal use of 4gb ram.
crmcrm
What's DOS?
Views: 1,132
Message 6 of 6

I just picked up a refurbished 11e Yoga (20DA?). I installed Ubuntu 18.04. The trackpad won't recognize a right click. I went into keyboard settings and set up a long press to substitute, but it would be nice if it didn't need a work around. I purchased this specifically to use as a linux machine.  Any thoughts?

CRM

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors