Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gojax
What's DOS?
Views: 278
Message 1 of 2

Unable to boot linux systems

My laptop (Thinkpad W520) suddenly shut down without warning... I tried to reboot, but, again, shut down during the boot process... I tried recovery mode: same. Not good...

I'm running Linux so, to be sure it was not an issue with my OS, I tried to boot Windows. No issue.

Now, what I don't understand is that all Linux OS won't boot. Installation CD from which I installed my current system: nope. Live CD or USB of various Linux distros, nope. Even the Lenovo Diagnostics - Bootable CD (which is based on linux) won't boot.

So,I was able to run the diagnostics tools lite in windows and everything was successful.

I then try to deactivate everything possible in the BIOS, hoping that it may boot and help me to identify the culprit. No luck there neither...

What could be the problem that prevents Linux to boot but not Windows? I´m really lost here...

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 183
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to boot linux systems

You did not mention when the system powers off. Is it early in the boot process or later in the process?

Can you boot into runlevel 3 / multi-user.target?

you could also try booting with nomodeset or acpi=off

As last resort you could try booting into single user / emergency mode and look for clues in the logfiles.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors