03-30-2014

Austria

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 4

Unable to select Legacy Boot option on Lenovo ThinkPad 8

2014-03-30, 12:23 PM

I've been trying to install Linux for testing porpuses as well as a Windows 8 pro i have here with license. Sadly enough the Tablet comes with legacy boot disable by default so i'm nable to boot anything that isn't UEFI. How do i enable the legacy option on the ThinkPad 8? i've checked a thread here where it points to the restart screen where i can see the option to enable it but right now i can't see no option for that.

Link to image

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Options

8270 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77238 Signins

2189139 Page Views

• Views: 2189139
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to select Legacy Boot option on Lenovo ThinkPad 8

2014-03-30, 14:41 PM

Hello and welcome,

I've moved this thread to the Linux forum.

I don't have an answer to your question :(  I do have a question for you - to clarify things for others reading this thread:

Is the heart of the problem that the TP 8 is a 32-bit device?  You can certainly install Linux in UEFI mode - but it requires a 64-bit distro.

There may be (complicated) ways to finesse this.  For instance: http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support

I have't tried this - just asking The Google.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

03-30-2014

Austria

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-03-31, 21:00 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply. All i'm looking for is to boot the device using a USB stick to install a different version of Windows or even Linux just for testing. I know i shouldn't do that but i like to experiment with my devices and thought i can just go ahead and install a different OS just to see how it works on it. I know i can use UEFI but my goal is actually to boot OSes the legacy way rather than UEFI. Right now i'm slightly dissapointed because of that even if the devices is pretty awesome.

Options

9 Posts

06-06-2014

North Pole

7 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-06-07, 1:09 AM

I've also tried to access the legacy BIOS on the Thinkpad 8, and tried to boot to USB in all the possible ways. Even with a USB key configured to be perfectly bootable on UEFI, it's just impossible.

It's very dissapointing that Lenovo gives us no way to install another OS than Windows 8, and no way to activate legacy BIOS. To me that makes my little tablet almost useless.

It's the most expensive 8 inch windows tablet, and Lenovo shouldn't rip off its custommers with these cheap "security" tricks!

I'll avoid all Lenovo products in the future.

Windows 8 is also to blame: they force PC companies to make UEFI systems, on which it's hard/impossible to install other OSs like linux. So a Windows 8 device is officially no better than a phone/tablet. I have really rooted for Windows, but now I think they're completely on their way down. I'm sort of hoping they fail now, to be replaced by Android or Linux or who knows what.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete