cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 4,270
Message 181 of 185

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

There will not be a driver from the manufacture of the fingerprint reader for Linux based systems. Synaptic (current owner of the reader hardware) has stated several times that it is not interested in supporting Linux based operating systems. As such, there is nothing coming to the market from them in the way of a driver or support base for Linux distros.

Pressuring Lenovo to "make a driver available" is not going to work on a peer to peer forum such as this.

As I have stated in earlier thread postings - the only way to make a company stand up and take notice is to "burn up" the phones with your input.

Not only does it get recorded (so play nice) it is fully documented in their system, and reviewed by Lenovo managers for action.

This forum is for Peer to Peer support, when possible. While Lenovo support agents or authorized persons will drop in to help from time to time, it is not an "official" means to garner support from Lenovo directly.

Again - to get traction on this - get on the phone and file an official complaint.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
darthvader42
What's DOS?
Views: 3,323
Message 182 of 185

Please excuse the naive question. I wanted to use patched fprintd  from https://github.com/3v1n0/libfprint. There is the notion of a one-time initialization using Windows.
Is it enough to install a Win 10 VM in virtualbox, configure USB to pass through the fingerprint reader and install the stanard windows 10 device driver. Or are there any more actions required?

Treviño
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,121
Message 183 of 185

Yes. If it doesn't work by default, that's enough.

Just pass the usb device to the guest system, and Windows will set it up. Not even needed to enroll fingers there, since this driver uses image matching (not the best, but allows to have it to work propely in any scenario)

MiHo2017
Paper Tape
Views: 3,059
Message 184 of 185

Is there any tutorial? I can't figure out how that would work.

giovilux
Paper Tape
Views: 2,329
Message 185 of 185

I've tried the instructions from https://github.com/3v1n0/libfprint.
Thanks a lot tho the authors!
Works perfectly on my ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-4th.
Able to enroll only one one finger with GNOME

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors