Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edmundlaugasson
Core Memory
Views: 16,562
Message 11 of 184

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

My adventures about looking contact with the Synaptics Corporation (http://www.synaptics.com/contact) by calling its offices as there were no support e-mail available:
USA office - did not work (10 hours time shift from my location), have to try another (working) time
Beijing office: responded, first person did almost not speak English, another person said that they are dealing only with touchpads and not fingerprint sensors and suggested to call to headquarter in USA or European department, it means EMEA office in Switzerland.
EMEA office - called several times but nobody do not pick the phone.

I guess there is no point to call more unless there could be spoken with the headquarter in USA. I encourage you to do the same and try to reach Synaptics headquarter in USA and complain the issue. The more people complain the more higher would be the probability to solve the issue.

Synaptics seems to own for now the Validity Corporation:
https://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/synaptics-acquires-validity/

I made also support request to official Lenovo support, ticket number is 7029NNH.

fmarignier
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,520
Message 12 of 184

Hi folks

I think that Lenovo must take this problem in charge.

They made this choice and now they have to find a solution with their hardware providers to obtain all linux drivers for the X1 platform.

The X1 is a beautiful laptop (and this is my second X1) and I think that the FP reader is an important device in the choice of Lenovo customers (like me) so I guess that the success of this new generation will be impacted by the availability of all necessary linux drivers.

Wait and see as American people say (I'm french)

TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 16,412
Message 13 of 184

Any updates? Looking forward to using the P50's fingerprint scanner that I paid for when I bought my machine in the operating system of my choice (Linux). Lenovo definitely has the clout to push their vendors to release the right working drivers for the hardware that they choose.

Treviño
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,279
Message 14 of 184

This is just unacceptable.

I've bought multiple products with this new sensor, for only Linux usage as a ThinkPad should be made for.

But it seems that Lenovo is costantly making harder to use linux-only solutions (for example, no way to upgrade docks firmwares too), while many Linux users select these machines for their historic compatibiliy.

justyn
SCSI Port
Views: 16,223
Message 15 of 184

All the Thinkpads I've come into contact with have had fingerprint sensors that worked well with Linux.

In fact, it is the good Linux support that attracts me to Thinkpad hardware.

So it would be great to see Lenovo talk to their supplier (Validity/Synaptics) about getting some proper Linux support for these new devices, in whatever form. Lenovo are clearly a big customer for them so they should listen.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 16,060
Message 16 of 184

I heard from a smartphone user that Android smartphones use the same fingerprint reader. For example, one response on if any other devices using the same FP reader: 

I know LG does on my Nexus 5x, and that's a budget device all things considered.

Still hard to say what crypto if any that uses though.

If there is an Android driver, why you cannot get the Linux driver, Lenovo?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 16,029
Message 17 of 184

Can you please share the contact info that you found? I'd like to help out.

I already tweeted to both parties:

https://twitter.com/chuckmoyes/status/758188562126737408

Also, this is not "Solved" -- there is still no Linux support at all. This topic should not be marked "Solved" until Lenovo/Synaptics provide a solution so that Validity fingerprint reader works on Linux.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 15,979
Message 18 of 184

@TheChuckster wrote:

Can you please share the contact info that you found? I'd like to help out.

I already tweeted to both parties:

https://twitter.com/chuckmoyes/status/758188562126737408

Also, this is not "Solved" -- there is still no Linux support at all. This topic should not be marked "Solved" until Lenovo/Synaptics provide a solution so that Validity fingerprint reader works on Linux.

Great! I have retweeted your Twitter post. Would like to see more actions!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
fmarignier
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,852
Message 19 of 184

Dear all
The bad thing is that we are discussing about a Lenovo hardware issue on the official Lenovo forum and we still have no official feedback from Lenovo.

In fact I can understand that the driver will be not open source or will be billable. because if the biometrics data are directly encrypted by the device I guess that synaptic will not provide the key in an opensource driver? Specially if google use the same hardware for the N5X.. Smiley Happy

But Lenovo should give us a feedback or a solution...a

F

TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 15,792
Message 20 of 184

I understand, nobody is asking specifically for open source. I, for one, would really appreciate even a binary blob driver (like NVIDIA's Linux drivers) -- it's marginally better than "not working at all." Smiley Happy