Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 13,099
Message 21 of 185

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

As an engineer, I can also think of at least one way of implementing an encrypted biometrics hardware driver without needing the key -- I suspect Synaptics took the "get it done" route though and embedded the key in the driver, even though anybody with a few hours of time and IDA Pro can extract it.

SeniorGuru
Views: 12,908
Message 22 of 185

I would add my two cents....

First and foremost we need to remember this is a Peer to Peer based forum, not one that Lenovo rep's tread with any sort of regularity.  Most of us collablorate / pool our knowledge to find solutions where possible.

Secondly, a solved status indicator sometimes mean resolved, where it does not always represent a working solution to a stated problem.  In this case - Lenovo reached out to Synaptics, got an answer, passed it down as a solution of sorts.  Essentially Synaptics is responsible for creating a driver that works with Linux, or at least releasing the information to the open soruce community for driver creation efforts.  If they refuse, Lenovo can only bring so much pressure on them to change.

Lastly, it does little good to "bark up this tree" - the emphasis should be put on Synaptics to get this problem resolved.  Did Lenovo choose this FP Reader? Sure, but they only include it into the build, just as AMD or nVidia parts would be included.   AMD, nVidia, intel and other hardware manufactures that supply complex additions (video, cpu, support chips, modems, network IC, etc) build drivers for those parts and supply them (tweaked for each vendor) to make sure that the completed machines provide a quantifiable return on invesments.

In short - lets take it to Synaptics, Elan and even Broadcom to make Linux drivers, or provide us with source coding to build drivers for equipment that they provide to Lenovo, HP, Dell and the like.

OK... That was more like  a quarters worth....

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 12,902
Message 23 of 185

Yes, but Lenovo has infinitely more leverage when it comes to "requesting" a Linux driver from Synaptics than any of us ever will.

SeniorGuru
Views: 12,884
Message 24 of 185

True, to a point... Synaptics and other manufactures have been reluctant to climb on the Linux wagon, and that has been the core of the issue. Some manufactures see Linux as the red headed step child and will never give it proper acknowledgement, or they have signed an exclusivity wavier with Microsoft that prevents them from taking an active role.

Intel - the gorilla in the conference room has been very beneficial to the Linux community, and contributes a TON of good things to the effort. Even with that, they have sometimes decided a Linux driver was not in their best interests.

I suspect that this FP hardware uses a core component from the Windows OS to implement it's features or communications... Much like the infamous "WinModem" hardware used to be.

If this is the case, it will be very difficult to revers engineer the drivers to work with Linux. While I suspect it has more to do with Synaptics not wanting to loose profits over this issue, Lenovo, HP and others could collaborate to make something happen, either with a driver made from scratch or to put the screws to Elan / Synaptics for better cross platform support.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
edmundlaugasson
Core Memory
Views: 12,772
Message 25 of 185

Dear all, here are my adventures by calling to Lenovo Support to +1-800-426-7378 at 3rd August 2016. I did not have any other phone than my mobile phone which I used for calling.
I spent 33 minutes and 15 second and the result is zero - nothing! I would also remind that I have 10 hours time shift with that place I called - so I had carefully choose the calling time. You may also notice that calling from that far away is not a cheap try - it went ~55,6 $  (50 €).
After tackling through the answering machine choices, which were four, one man answered. I introduced myself and told him my service request number 7029NNH, I made at 20th July 2016. I also said that when I logged in at support.lenovo.com then my previously registered product is just gone! And I could not add a new one! I tried Firefox, also Chromium - the "Add new product" buttons just did not work - I tried both of them...

Lenovo-Support-Add-new-product-does-not-work.pngLenovo Support: Add new product does not work

So I cannot also see anymore that service request I made but I have two emails confirming that I made that request, here one of them:

Lenovo-Support-request-confirmation-email.pngLenovo Support request confirmation email

But no response from Lenovo Support about why my registered product is gone and why I cannot re-register. Looks like they did not much listen my concern.
Well, then that man said he will check and put me onto waiting mode. I waited ca 15 (!) minutes listsening automatic announcements that I can check my warranty also online etc and then one women answered. Well - she did not know nothing my previous conversation, especially the service request number I just told to previous person and also did not know my name even I just told it to previous person. When she heard the word 'Linux' she immediately said that Lenovo does not support any Linux - only M$ Windows. I tried to say that if you go to the address e.g. http://support.lenovo.com/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50 then there is possible to change operating system to Linux (Red Hat / SUSE) but no driver for fingerprint sensor. She did not much listen me and repeatedly said that Lenovo does not support any Linux and that's it! She then told me Estonian Lenovo Support phone number and suggested to ask from them but I said that I made a question and got response at http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/#answer/2880461 and it says: "Hello very sorry to hear that you are having a hard time to get the Fingerprint security to work please contact our Lenovo Think Support at 1-800-426-7378 thank you for your inquiry have a great day" - that's what I did - called there as suggested but nothing, zero - no support. I tried to respond to that message but it says for now "We're sorry, submission is currently unavailable" - so that's it...

Lenovo-has-sorry_me-either.pngLenovo has sorry - me either Smiley Sad
I was relatively angry and said (still yet calmly) to that support lady over phone that it seems like I made a wrong decision to buy a Lenovo product and hang up the talk as I spent too much time and calling is relatively expensive for me and no solution was not even close.
So folks - what else we can expect from Lenovo? Whoever has any idea I would like to hear!

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 12,728
Message 26 of 185

@edmundlaugasson I know how you feel. I didn't call the Lenovo service people, but I chatted with some CSR online. There was nothing useful for me to solve this issue. At least they can show some efforts to work with Synaptics and Validity to try solve this Linux driver issue, but they don't have any of this kind so far as we see online. 

From the chat log:

CSR: Thank you for choosing Lenovo Chat. 
CSR: Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is CSR and my Rep ID is 
xxxxxxxxx. Happy to help you today. 

We value your opinion and look forward to you taking the one question survey to help us 
provide an exceptional experience. Thank you for your time. 

May I know how much would you like to invest today? along with the specifications you are 
looking for. 

CSR: I will love to help you to invest with us today ! 
 me: Hello, JorgeC. 
 CSR: Hello, May I know how much would you like to invest today? along with the specifications you are looking for. 
 me: Could Lenovo provide the Linux driver for the Fingerprint Reader of the Thinkpad P50 machines? 
 me: I can pay for the service if it's reasonable. 
 CSR: unfortunately we work with Windows Only and we do not manage Linux drivers yet to recognize the fingerprint 
 CSR: But still you may get some help, here may I know do you own the computer already? 
 me: Yeah, for a couple of months already. 
 me: Don't feel good without a working FP reader in the working Linux environment on a premium Thinkpad workstation... 
 CSR: As much as I will love to get this technical request resolved, unfortunately the required tools are not available through my sales system, but our Technical Support Team will be glad to help you to complete this request. Please call Lenovo Technical Support at 1-800-426-7378 and 1-877-453-6686, The support will be available 24 hours. Here you may get the service required but is not a fact because we do not have Linux as a OS option 
 me: Could you report this request to the Tech department of Lenovo? Thanks. 
 me: Well, it said it's Linux certified. 
 CSR: I am sorry we have no way to comunicate with them from hwre 

Well, either I have misunderstood the Linux support document from Lenovo or I shouldn't believe Lenovo really care about Linux users among their customers. Anyway, keep a hope here. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
edmundlaugasson
Core Memory
Views: 12,711
Message 27 of 185

Why the heck are they suggesting to call to Lenovo Support if they do not help either with Linux?? This is already second time, first time I noticed, was in the Lenovo Shop web site as I made a screenshot of that.
That's (Lenovo's Linux Support - https://support.lenovo.com/en/documents/pd031426) a very good question which I see nobody (especially Lenovo itself) would not like to answer. Looks like legs do not know what head is doing (or vice versa)... Possibly some engineers do offer the Linux support but those services who offer real support, just do not know it and are not ready. That's actually another issue how company organizes its support departments work, syncs the knowledge across them and I guess we are not very much interested on it. We just need that (working) driver for the fingerprint sensor - no matter who from Lenovo gives it us. I would gladly meet one of the Lenovo's engineer to get that driver. Putting the driver officially online and drop a link here into forum would be just fine. Even if it is just a kernel module which works with current libraries and kernels - even this would be fine. Certainly a repository by Lenovo would be a sustainable way to keep that driver updated but even if they update the driver at their homepage - even that would be fine. Certainly a small tutorial would be expected for users how to permanently add that command to load the driver (which is a kernel module actually in Linux) on every boot but I guess if somebody searches a bit from Internet then it could be found on popular distros and possibly posted also here and would be useful also to post in ThinkWiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Integrated_Fingerprint_Reader).
So - it would be the question then - how to get that kernel module which suits for all existing and future kernels (renewed)?

TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 12,651
Message 28 of 185

I'm all for bugging Lenovo until they give us the driver we deserve, but I highly doubt random support agents overseas who don't even actually work at Lenovo and who are just trained to read off scripts are going to be helpful.

amos_batto
Paper Tape
Views: 12,298
Message 29 of 185

There is a driver for the Validity Sensor fingerprint reader on my T450s. See: https://gist.github.com/foosel/3abd45bc1b6ae121965b

I manually compiled it and it seems to work in Debian Jessie, but I could not figure out how to configure PAM and LightDM to use it at the login screen.

Treviño
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,288
Message 30 of 185

Most of 2016 ThinkPad seriese have a completely different fingerprint reader compared to T450 one, so I'm sorry to say that driver doesn't apply at all.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors