Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlu
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 1 of 3

Windows License when running a virtualized Windows on a linux host

Hi, 

I am a new happy owner of a Carbon X1.   I have installed debian and after some configuration tuning, it runs fine.  

I am mostly a Linux and Mac user.    From time to time, I need to run a app in Windows or Mac OS so I am thinking about running one or the other in a virtual machine.  I am wondering now if I could use the Windows licence key associated with my Carbon X1.    Where is the license key? It is not on a sticker under the device.  I have read on some thread, the key is written somewhere in the hardware.  Is there some way I could use that key ?

jonasbjork
Paper Tape
Views: 240
Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows License when running a virtualized Windows on a linux host

On my X1Carbon 5th gen I could get my Windows key with:

$ hexdump -s 56 -e '"Windows License: " /29 "%s\n"' /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

However, if this is valid to use in a virtual environment or not - I don't know.

fen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 81
Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows License when running a virtualized Windows on a linux host

I have the same issue, posted elsewhere but fear Lenovo support may not watch "Solved" topics (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-how-to-find-Windows-10-serial-key-i... - apologies for the repost)

I have a brand new X1 Carbon 6th generation and need to install Ubuntu 18.04 on it. As it has Windows 10 installed (and thus I own a copy of Windows 10) I would like to create a VM (under Linux with VirtualBox) to run that Windows 10 so that I can test websites in Windows when necessary.

So I don't want dual boot, nor do I want to run Ubuntu in a VM under Windows. I just want to run one copy of Windows, but I want to run it in a VM under Linux.

My "old" machine - a T520 - came with the Windows license key under the battery. I hear that the current license key is in BIOS, but that likely won't be accessible from the VM.

• How can I install a legal copy of Windows 10 - pre-installed on the X1 - into a VM?
  • Where can I find the XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX key?

I am downloading the recovery USB from Lenovo Digital Download Recovery Service (DDRS). Does this include the Windows License Key and allow installation in a VM?

Or if I start fresh (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh) where do I get the License key?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors