Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nPoc
Paper Tape
Views: 301
Message 1 of 2

X1 Carbon 4th gen bricked by v1.40 efi bios update

I recently clicked yes on the "upgrade my system firmware" dialogue in Ubuntu which attempted to upgrade my bios using the efi bios updater.  It appears to be going fine, and then a black screen appears and the machine completely stops responding.  I left it in that state for 8 hours before finally calling it dead.  I was able to recover my laptop by flashing the eeprom using a raspberry pi 3 as an spi programmer.  I then attempted the same bios update in case it was a fluke.  The machine bricked again.  

I would recommend people NOT ATTEMPT this v1.40 update, and I'm increddibly disappointed in lenovo for such a failure in testing.

I slightly modified these instructions in order to resurrect my machine, in case some one else needs them

https://tomvanveen.eu/flashing-bios-chip-raspberry-pi/

I guess I'll be tearing the machine apart and booting windows for the first time in 2 years to perform this update.

nPoc
Paper Tape
Views: 292
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 Carbon 4th gen bricked by v1.40 efi bios update

Also It should be known that I had attempted updating v1.14 -> v1.40 and v1.27 -> v1.40, and both bricked the laptop.  I can reliably reproduce this.

I should also mention that this update came to me via the lvfs notification, and subsequent efi boot/installation that I received via the Ubuntu software center.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors