Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Alexander51
Paper Tape
Views: 3,667
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 5th gen on Linux: How to update Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware??

Anybody any clue as to how to perform the update under Linux?

@LENOVO: please bear in mind that not all your customers run Microsoft... support for Linux systems would be much appreciated!

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,541
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 5th gen on Linux: How to update Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware??

Hi Alexander51, Try this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/to-run-critical-Intel-AMT-firmware-updat...

Tell us how it goes!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Alexander51
Paper Tape
Views: 3,496
Message 3 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 5th gen on Linux: How to update Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware??

@Bananaman Thanks for the tip. I'm working my way through the instructions on the page below, but I have (temporarily, I hope) stranded at point 9, as mkwinpeimg spits out the error "/usr/lib/syslinux/chain.c32: No such file or directory". I guess I need to figure out which of the chain.c32 files in the syslinux-common package I need (I suppose the /modules/bios/chain.c32), and how I get mkwinpeimg to play nicely with that file...  To be continued.

https://www.flamingspork.com/blog/2017/11/22/updating-windows-management-engine-firmware-on-a-lenovo...

Alexander51
Paper Tape
Views: 3,402
Message 4 of 9

Brief update: I have thusfar not succeeded. I made mkwinpeimg use the (syslinux) /modules/bios/ files, and, alternatively, the /modules/efi64/ files present on my Ubuntu Xenial installation, but neither leads to a successfully bootable USB drive. On booting, images with the respective files both give the error:

BPB detection (sect): unkown

Booting...

Then the system reboots...

Alexander51
Paper Tape
Views: 3,374
Message 5 of 9

OK - I got it to work... For those who are trying to achieve the same thing, this is what I did on my X1 Carbon 5th gen running Ubuntu Xenial:

1. I executed steps 1-8 detailed here: https://www.flamingspork.com/blog/2017/11/22/updating-windows-management-engine-firmware-on-a-lenovo...

2. Before executing step 9, I copied the files in /usr/lib/syslinux/modules/bios/ to /usr/lib/syslinux/, so as to avoid the error mkwinpeimg threw at me earlier about chain.32 being unfindable.

3. I executed step 9.

4. Before executing step 10, I ran 'wipefs --all /dev/sdx' on my usb drive; this was apparently necessary to avoid the error at boot time (BPB blah blah). Then I dd-ed the disk.img to the usb drive as prescribed in step 10.

5. As to step 11, I note that I was not able to find the setting to turn AMT ON (?).

6. I finally executed steps 12-13 without issues.

Good luck, and thanks to Stewart Smith for the instructions, and to bananaman for the tip!

CallmeBrian
What's DOS?
Views: 2,198
Message 6 of 9

For others out ther, you need to download two files:

n1mrg19w.exe

n1mra15w.exe

innoextract both of these, and then cabextract SetupME.exe

cp or mv the app dir into winpe_overlay

Alexander51
Paper Tape
Views: 2,168
Message 7 of 9

@CallmeBrian When I followed the recipe, I downloaded 2(!) files: n1mra15w.exe and n1mrg19w.exe (step 3), and ran both of them under WINE (step 4). Something tells me the SetupME.exe file that needs to be cabextract-ed (step 5) came from the n1mra15w.exe file that you don't mention, perhaps because you've overlooked it.

CallmeBrian
What's DOS?
Views: 2,140
Message 8 of 9

Yep, I had not seen the second exe, in "Intel Management Engine 11.7 Software for Windows"

thanks

Hughsie
What's DOS?
Views: 472
Message 9 of 9

The ME update for some models should be available soon on the LVFS.

Top Kudoed Authors