Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 836
Message 1 of 8

X1 Carbon 6th Gen fails to wake from S3

Running Ubuntu 18.04 on an X1C6 with bios updated to 1.30 as per https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-S...

If I close the lid and reopen after less than a minute, the system wakes without any problem, with or without AC power.  However, if I leave the lid closed for a substantial amount of time (about an hour) then the system fails to wake upon opening the lid, or briefly pressing the power button.  The last entry in kern.log is "PM: suspend entry (deep)".  I have tried disabling secure boot and enabling wake-on-lan as per https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1708043

Another issue that is probably related is that the laptop emits a six-tone beep code (short-short-short-long-short-short) when powering on.  I have already taken the laptop in to a Lenovo certified repair shop because of the beep code and they erased my previous Linux distro, installed Windows and ran a full suite of tests but found no problem with hardware.  If I keep jabbing at the power button the system will eventually launch into the Lenovo splash screen.  Another likely important detail is that I am using an encrypted Ubuntu installation. 

In addition, /var/log/boot/log is full of the following messages:

WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Volume group "ubuntu-vg" not found.
Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
Found volume group "ubuntu-vg" using metadata type lvm2
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "ubuntu-vg" now active

I quite like the X1C but it is basically unusable at this point, and I would rather find a fix than go back to a Macbook and its horrible keyboard.  Any suggestions appreciated..

filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 763
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen fails to wake from S3

Update: I replaced Ubuntu 18.04.1 with 16.04.5, and did not encrypt the installation - only the home folder.  Problem persists, the machine can't wake from deep sleep, even after opening the lid, hitting keys, jabbing the power button, etc.  I'm going to try to disable deep sleep, because I'm out of options at this point.

filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 713
Message 3 of 8

With Ubuntu 16.04, I obtained 50% battery loss over 8 hours.  Laptop wakes from idle upon opening the lid, since I deactivated the S3 mode, and it also wasn't running hot.  I'm taking this as acceptable performance, but I won't be recommending Lenovo laptops for my colleagues...

filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 662
Message 4 of 8

Aaand now we're back to unacceptable behavior.  System fails to recover state when waking from idle (blank desktop, none of my apps open) and displays the default GNOME login screen instead of the lock screen for an active user account.  Macbook, here we come :-P

yamrzou
Paper Tape
Views: 556
Message 5 of 8

I'm having the exact same issues mentioned here with my X1C6 on Ubuntu 18.04 : The system either can't wake from sleep or fails to recover state when the it wakes up, as if it was restarted.

Highlighted
filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 548
Message 6 of 8

yes I think I annotated your post to indicate that I’m experiencing the same issue.  I wasn’t kidding when I said I was scrapping my X1 for a new MacBook.  The things that annoy me about macs are trumped by the fact that I can no longer even turn on my thinkpad.

good luck.

yamrzou
Paper Tape
Views: 519
Message 7 of 8

UPDATE:

I just tried changing the BIOS configuration according to the instructions here, basically :

Config -> Power -> Sleep State - Set to "Linux"
Config -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode - Set to "Enabled"

and the sleep and recovery seems to work correctly for now!

filogeni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 386
Message 8 of 8

Last update: I had taken my X1C to a Lenovo certified service center to diagnose the beep code and suspend issues.  They wiped my Ubuntu and installed Windows to run diagnostic tests, and reported that they found no issues.  I still ran into issues with suspend (precipitating this post) and the beep code issue got progressively worse worse, to the point that I wasn't even able to boot to the Lenovo splash screen.  The service center refused to see the laptop again, blaming my Linux installation.

So I took my X1C to a second Lenovo certified site.  There, the technician used a Lenovo phone app to diagnose the beep code as a bad logic board and took my laptop in for service.  One week later, I have my X1C back with a new logic board, no beep code issues and suspend works just fine with the BIOS update and settings. 

Don't let service techs blame Linux.  Get a second opinion and make sure the tech knows about the diagnostics app if you're encountering an undocumented beep code.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors