Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ranguvar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 26,817
Message 1 of 217

X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Tested with Linux kernels 4.15.6 and 4.16-rc3.

Boot message shows no S3 (suspend-to-RAM) support:

ACPI: (supports S0 S4 S5)

On the X1 Carbon Gen 5 and others, it shows S3 support there.

We are tracking this issue here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1771210
Unfortunately, this makes using Linux on this laptop quite a pain right now.

As far as we can tell from other computers that had similar issues in the past, it requires a BIOS update from Lenovo to fix.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,607
Message 2 of 217

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Same here! (I cant kudo this for some reason)

j6m6
Punch Card
Views: 26,452
Message 3 of 217

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I am also seeing the same issue on Arch Linux.

However, on Windows, “Sleep” seems to work properly. Two tests of sleeping in Windows resulted in only 1% battery power drop after 1 hour each time. 

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 26,443
Message 4 of 217

Dear customers,

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 6 supports Windows Modern Standby (aka S0i3) so that ACPI table doesn't specify the support of S3.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,436
Message 5 of 217

Thank you for replying.

Will this change? Are there plans to release an update?

No support for suspend (S3) renders this beatiful machine useless.

What about the T480s? Does it supoort S3?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 26,413
Message 6 of 217

Dear customers,

At this moment, there is no specific plan to support S3 on X1 Carbon Gen 6.

There are two 2018 ThinkPad products support Modern standby, ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 6 and X1 Yoga 3rd .

Other 2018 ThinkPad products support S3 state, i.e. ThinkPad T480s supports S3.

Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 26,383
Message 7 of 217

Thanks Rydeen. However, please promote addding S3 to an upcoming BIOS update. The hardware supports it anyway, it's really just ACPI announcing it - there are many Linux users who are very frustrated about that change, and many more to come, since X1C6 was just released in Europe.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 26,377
Message 8 of 217

Dear customers,

When ACPI table was changed to support S3,  Windows Modern Standby doesn't work.

Modern Standby and Suspend/Resume functions are working exclusively.

Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 26,372
Message 9 of 217

Is there a possibility to provide us with an alterantive BIOS/UEFI image we could install, which promotes S3 support? For Linux users, giving up on  "Windows Modern Standby" wouldn't be a problem at all. 

Thank you for your effort Rydeen!

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,357
Message 10 of 217

Thank you Rydeen.  I would +1 on Esonn's proposal. Providing (even unofficially) us with an alternative BIOS would be great.

Top Kudoed Authors