cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piehei
Paper Tape
Views: 2,844
Message 151 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

No, you don't have any disadvantage.

The patch is applied when the Linux system boots.

tim54
Punch Card
Views: 2,819
Message 152 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@tim54 wrote:

I'm really on the fence about whether to buy an X1 Gen 6. Costco has a great deal right now but I'm very conerned about all the issues that people are having with the touchpad and suspend-to-RAM with linux, which is the OS I would be installing (debian testing). I've read many threads but it's not clear to me how satisfactory the various workarounds are. Would a few people care to weigh in on this? Are these issues dealbreakers? I'm reluctant to support a company that doesn't seem to be responsive to the needs of the linux community.

After much thought I've decided to buy an HP elitebook 850 instead of the X1 Carbon. I just don't feel like doing a lot of work to get something as basic as hibernation to work with the X1. I don't know if any lenovo employees are watching this thread but Lenovo's failure to provide Linux support on this issue has resulted in a lost sale, and I'm sure there are many others like me. It's a shame. The X1 looks like a great laptop, probably better than the one I'm buying, except for the LInux problems. 

superadmin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,737
Message 153 of 295

With all due respect, the joy and thrill of Linux is also to get it to run on ANY device, no matter how crappy the hardware vendor supports Linux. I remember installing Gentoo Linux on a 90ies era Powerbook, making it as fast if not faster than my Thinkpat T40p from back then. Screw the vendors, give me any hardware I install you the best System on earth, there is no stopping Linux. Propietery always looses.

tim54
Punch Card
Views: 2,717
Message 154 of 295

I used to enjoy the challenge of getting Linux to work on my devices, too. That was part of the fun of learning to use LInux. But some of that thrill has faded over the years. Now I like things to mostly just work. In this case Lenovo has taken a step backwards in terms of the way suspend works--they broke something that used to work. So fixing it in this case isn't so much a challenge as an annoyance.  I chose to go with HP because they actually sell computers without Windows pre-installed. I think that's a policy worth supporting. 

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,680
Message 155 of 295

Dear customers,

As I commented in this discussion thread earlier, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and X1 Yoga 3rd systems are designed to support Modern Standby, those doesn't support legacy s3 state. I'd like linux customers of those system will move to modern standby linux.

We are listening to your comments, however, our development team current forcus is to provide more stable, highest performance but lowest energy consumption,  silent and cooler systems. So far we don't have explicit plan to suppot legacy s3 on these systems.

Thank you for your understanding.

walkie
Core Memory
Views: 2,646
Message 156 of 295

@Rydeen That was a very tone-deaf response. We all know that the X1C6 supports modern standby and not S3. That's what this whole thread is about. There is no such thing as "modern standby linux". The power consumption of modern standby on Linux is unacceptably high.

Hopefully the Linux kernel folks can improve modern standby support in the future. In the meantime, people are frustrated because obviously the hardware supports S3 (since many of us have got it working by hacking the ACPI tables), but Lenovo doesn't care enough about Linux users to provide an official way to enable it.

Highlighted
JeremyS
Punch Card
Views: 2,587
Message 157 of 295

@Rydeen

"We are listening to your comments"

No, no you are not. You are reading our comments but are not actually bothering to listen to or understand them. For people who want to use Linux on these laptops and have a proper working sleep feature you aren't offering any solutions or workarounds to the problem. Everyone is getting frustrated with how difficult the current workaround is while all you are doing is putting your resources into optimizing the machine for Windows.

I imagine to most people here your comment has caused more harm than it has done good because all you are really saying is that you don't really care about Linux on Thinkpad anymore.

Do the right thing for once. Give us an official workaround/solution for sleep on Linux, if your current focus is truely "to provide more stable, highest performance but lowest energy consumption,  silent and cooler systems" then that is what you SHOULD do for us LINUX users.

wintermute42
SCSI Port
Views: 2,424
Message 158 of 295

Thank you @Rydeen, that was a very insightful answer. From my point of view it confirms that Lenovo certainly values us "linux customers" - just not enough to provide us with a statement that takes more than a few seconds to write, let alone invest any development resources into improving OS compatibility. Unfortunately there seems to be no Laptop manufacturer who does this to the extend I would consider optimal, but at least there are some who make an effort. I think in the future I will rather take my valued linux customer money to one of them. For example Dell's Project Sputnik seems to be something worth encouraging. My hope is that maybe there are more linux customers out there than a company like Lenovo might be aware of and that over time one of these companies realizes that it could be worth targeting this user group. Writing and talking about our experience can't hurt.

rh78
Punch Card
Views: 2,364
Message 159 of 295

I realize this is a linux only thread (and I am running Fedora on my X3 Yoga), but it is worth noting that the Modern Standby problems are also occuring on Windows [see this thread].  In fact, my modern standby results (while hardly anything close to being acceptable at 1.3W/hr in Modern Standby on Linux) is actually BETTER than people on the other thread are getting on Windows by a wide margin.

The problem is Modern Standby not linux support for it (ok, support in Linux could be better) as it is awful on Windows as well as Linux based on the feedback in the other link.  The linux community would be letting Lenovo off the hook if somehow the takeway message was that a small group of linux "enthusiasts" were getting bad Modern Standby results, when in fact the issues extend to Windows.  All users would benefit from S3 support.

shazow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,252
Message 160 of 295

@Rydeen, I reached out over PM and I thank you for posting a public response. I didn't realize that you were entirely giving up on "legacy" S3.

I appreciate the team needing to work on stability and performance, but every Thinkpad community I'm a member of (here, http://reddit.com/r/thinkpad, etc), the #1 thing people are complaining about is the lack of good sleep support.

Is it possible that the team's priorities need to be re-evaluated?

What can we do as a community to convince you of this?

Is there a different Lenovo employee that we should speak with? Should we start a petition? Should we show up on the lawns of Lenovo's HQ and wave our X1 Carbons around while chanting?

Please give us something actionable to do that will get proper sleep support *compatibility* on Linux. You can call it legacy or whatever you want to call it, but it's a core feature that needs to be functional.

Thank you!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors