cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wintermute42
Punch Card
Views: 5,760
Message 121 of 226

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I had some issues with acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 (also Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15). At first it worked fine, but then the laptop wouldn't sleep anymore - it just immediately woke up again. Haven't looked into it yet, but maybe I'll give it another try.
rh78
Punch Card
Views: 5,730
Message 122 of 226

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

On Fedora 4.16.8-300 on an X1C Yoga 3rd gen (very close cousin to the X1C6), my experiences with

acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1

is that the machine appears to go to sleep (the light on the lid is blinking and it stays asleep) but the power consumption while "sleeping" is awful.  It should be around .1 to .2 W/hr but is around 10x that amount (see this link for a similar issue).  The power consumption I am getting in "Sleep" is roughly equivalent to what I get when the screen dims after not using the machine but the machine is still awake (~2W/hr). 

I am using hibernation and hoping this will someday be sorted. 

piehei
Paper Tape
Views: 5,442
Message 123 of 226

I have this very same problem. Sleep ("Suspend to RAM" in Kubuntu 18.04) makes the computer go to some sleep-like state but the energy consumption seems to be roughtli 1.5 W/h.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,565
Message 124 of 226

@Roman79: I agree that even under Windows the modern Standby is unusable and drains horrible amounts of battery. I have around 2.5%/hour whereas I think 0.3%/hour is considered acceptable.

I have opened a thread for windows users having problem with X1C6 battery drain in sleep.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/td-p...

I would be glad if you could state your battery drain in %/hour or mW and, if applicable, main opponents as reported by microsofts powercfg /sleepstudy.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,936
Message 125 of 226

Has there been any progress on this? I just had our lab purchase this and I'm going to return and get Dell if I don't hear back in 2-3 days. Not surprised: handed over to a Chinese company and now thinkpad is a disaster.

orion760
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,691
Message 126 of 226

link didn't work, here it is again (it was missing the last parenthesis for me):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6)

wintermute42
Punch Card
Views: 1,740
Message 127 of 226

Has anyone tried the current BIOS version 1.23 yet? Does it work OK with Linux? Does it solve any of the problems running Linux on the X1C?

orion760
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,613
Message 128 of 226

BIOS update won't work. I didn't bother trying. (Read further below for info on that)

What fixed it for me

Okay so I gave the fix from delta-xi a try and looks like it works well for me as well.

From his page here:

They removed traditional deep sleep (ACPI S3 sleep state) in favor of a new, Microsoft-driven sleep state called Windows Modern Standby, aka Si03. This sleep state doesn't fully turn off all components except for main memory, but puts the devices themselves into an ultra low-power state. This way, much like modern smartphones do, some devices can briefly wake up particular components of the system - most notably communication devices. The idea is, to have an always-connected feature, to e.g. download updates while sleeping or stay connected to a WiFi during sleep. This may or may not be preferable idea, but for me it is not.

On the Intel Core architecture, Linux doesn't deal with Si03 too well (as opposed to Intel Atom CPUs) and suspend energy consumption is around 4 watts on the X1, which is extremely high and won't even give you a single day of suspend time.

The issue is that Lenovo has opted to solely adopt a new standby protocol disregarding the previously used one supported by ACPI. (In my opinion not giving a backwards compatible option is quite irresponsible and I can understand the frustration of others on this forum)

To fix this, you need to perform some things which a new user may feel uncomfortable with, but it does fix the issue.

Again, the instructions are here.

Some differences in implementation I took from this post:

• You may want to copy and paste the "menuitem{[...]}" from /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    and modify "initrd" to "initrd /acpi_override" in the line containing it. Paste it into:
    /etc/grub/40_custom

then run:
    # update-grub
    This way if grub is autogenerated, you don't have to worry about it
  • The default suspend state may be [s2idle]
    try:
    cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
    [s2idle] deep
    If you see 's2idle' in square brackets, you can change it to deep by doing the following:
    echo "deep" > /sys/power/mem_sleep
    you'll then see:
    cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
    s2idle [deep]
    This forces the laptop lid close to enable the S3 suspension, not the idling, which consumes at least 20 times less power.

Why I think BIOS update won't help

From the forum, it sounds like interaction with Lenovo support was negative and that they have refused to offer S3 support by upgrading their BIOS. I took a look at the summary of changes of their last BIOS update (which includes list of changes from the very beginning) and there is no mention of adding th S3 suspend state.

See the summary of changes here. Search for string "summary of changes"

I think we just need to wait for ACPI to catch up.

Anyway, with my personal experience, I would say to stay away from Lenovo. Not a good company. My prevoius laptop was a Dell XPS13 and I have never had issues (it's 3.5 years old and I mainly got a new laptop because I was offered budget money for it). For any issues I did have I had amazing support! BIOS updates were released for linux related issues! I'm strongly considering returning it tomorrow if my company will allow me and getting a newer version of the XPS.

superadmin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,519
Message 129 of 226

I am deeply dissatisfied with Lenovo playing the moronic Microsoft fiddle. Bad breed MS can't help it to try sneak their way into BIOSes and taking over Hardware. Lenovo gave in to the candy of MS sales reps. If Lenovo does not change course and open up to FOSS with dedication and sincerity, I will soon toss this Carbon as I did already with the Virus from Redmond it came with pre-installed.

I'm a senior cloud architect and can't afford to play silly BIOS patch games because some world domination attitude of a single software vendor. To not being able to use Linux as a work tool would mean the end of my professional carrer. Lenovo - I will blog about this and yes this will damange your reputation in the IT community, my blog readers are from Google, Intel, Amazon and other Tier 1 ICT companies. Lenovo - we are watching!

piehei
Paper Tape
Views: 1,465
Message 130 of 226

Following delta-xi's instructions I get the deep sleep working. However, the usage is still .5 W/h *and* touchpad becomes completely untrustable. Sometimes touchpad doesn't work at all no matter what modprobes I execute.

Top Kudoed Authors