cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfox
Paper Tape
Views: 2,726
Message 171 of 180

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Fingerprint reader and LTE Modem do not work as well - some people are working on this

jonfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,640
Message 172 of 180

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Beyond the sleep problems that this thread discusses the finger print reader doesn't work. If you plan on getting the high resolution display it can be a bit of a pain. I wrote a bit about how handled sleep and resolution issues here: https://jonfriesen.ca/blog/lenovo-x1-carbon-and-ubuntu-18.04/

If you have any further questions it'd be best to open your own thread Smiley Happy

Sgtkeebler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,604
Message 173 of 180

At this time I dont believe any linx distro has the drivers that supports the fingerprint reader or LTE module. Which is why i opted out of the LTE module.

zaphot
Punch Card
Views: 2,495
Message 174 of 180

@Rydeen wrote:
We are listening to your comments, however, our development team current forcus is to provide more stable, highest performance but lowest energy consumption,  silent and cooler systems. So far we don't have explicit plan to suppot legacy s3 on these systems.

Thanks for the answer. However, these are contradicting statements! My experience with S0i3 under linux AND windows is:

• higher power consumption in sleep mode than any of my previous thinkpads
  • my laptop stays warm while sleeping. None of my previous thinkpads exhibited this
  • S0i3 is far more unstable under linux. (oky, no stability issues under windows)

Other customers experience the same. So if your team would focus on "more stable, highest performance but lowest energy consumption, silent and cooler systems" you would support s3 as a "legacy suspend" bios option (and imho would even considering it as default)

So please listen to your customers!  We have payed a high price for high quality laptop. The hardware is indeed great, but this flaw ruins the overall experince!

Sgtkeebler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,423
Message 175 of 180

I agree, I love my X1C6, and the hardware is amazing. Dont get me wrong I love the laptop, but you pay the high price of one becasue of the excellent Linux compatibility. I have never purchased a thinkpad before and went off of word of mouth that this laptop is the way to go for linux. Then come to find out after I recieved it and paid for it that compatibility with certain features isnt all there and as stable as I was told. I will keep my X1C6 but until this issue is resolved if it ever does get resolved I dont believe I will be buying the next model, becasue in the back of my mind I will be worried about what is going to work and whats not going to work. The main reason for this purchase was becasue I had the expectation that everything was stable due to what I was told about it.

Alot of these companies want to sell you the latest and greatest but then they stop supporting it a few months after it's released. What I don't understand is if there is a new BIOS update rolling out every few months why they couldn't just add that in there.

javanna
What's DOS?
Views: 1,864
Message 176 of 180

I recently bought a Yoga X1 3rd gen. Obviosuly if I had known of all these issues I would not have bought this laptop. I managed to patch things and make my Yoga sleep properly on Fedora 28, though touch functionalities don't work anymore after wake-up. I certainly did not spend all this money to have to patch my system in order to have such basic functionalities work (I can accept that the fingerprint reader does not work, but sleep mode? No, otherwise I would have bought a desktop!). It is unbelievable to read that Lenovo is prioritizing other tasks. This is very important to fix and from what I read even easy to achieve. Please look into this!

umurgdk
What's DOS?
Views: 1,718
Message 177 of 180

I've bought this laptop for sake of known linux compatibility of thinkpads and known durability. Since I bought it for the office usage, I don't need sleep working well. But I was thinking to buying another one for personal projects. But i think I will not do that. If you only support windows sleep nonsense that means linux has no priority in lenovo by any means. I've to use hibernate when i need portability. That sucks. About durability, oh man my backspace key got broken just in 2 days. And the official "answers" in this thread seems like lenovo don't give a sh*t about their linux users. I think i will go with system76 for my next laptop. They are bit pricey and maybe a little bit bulky, but at least they are meant for the linux users.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,471
Message 178 of 180

I updated my inital approach and packaged everything in a small script.

If you want to create an acpi_override for your X1 Carbon 2018 you can just use it.

https://github.com/fiji-flo/x1carbon2018s3

zaphot
Punch Card
Views: 1,381
Message 179 of 180

Hi, thanks for that! Currently your patch is the top post on hacker news: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17551286
thinkpadlover9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,321
Message 180 of 180

Still quite frustrated about Lenovo and Lenovo's answer above.

I have now patched X1C6 Gen 6 with the patch from https://delta-xi.net/#056.

Worked very well with a fresh installation with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Some points for the patch

• iasl: didn't have to install latest version, worked fine with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iasl
  • Run point 10 before point 9 and make sure you update grub!
  • Add /boot/ to the acpi_override

Here are all the steps 9-10 (from delta-xi.net tutorial) that worked for me:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Change to: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet mem_sleep_default=deep"

sudo update-grub

After updating grub, add the /boot/acpi_override into the part, where "Ubuntu" is loading

sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
initrd /boot/acpi_override /initramfs-linux.img

Top Kudoed Authors