cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j6m6
Punch Card
Views: 8,904
Message 11 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

From reading about S0i3, it would be nice if the Linux kernel/ACPI supported that as an alternative to S3 since the power usage is supposed to be the same, but the wake up time is just a few milliseconds. 

Of course, a BIOS option to select S3 or S0i3 would work too. 

Ranguvar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,810
Message 12 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

If you could please provide an S3 BIOS, we in the Linux community can create an ACPI patch to allow S3 on Linux while continuing to use the official BIOS for Windows.

Even if you could simply provide S3 ACPI tables (DSDT/SSDTs), that would be enourmously helpful.

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,566
Message 13 of 295

Ouch, this sucks!

I seriously doubt we will see Lenovo put in the effort to provide an alternate BIOS update with S3 support enabled. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm holding off buying a X1C6 until this gets fixed. 

This is a pretty depressing precedent for future generations of the X1C.

Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 8,439
Message 14 of 295

@ardevd

I seriously doubt we will see Lenovo put in the effort to provide an alternate BIOS update with S3 support enabled. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm holding off buying a X1C6 until this gets fixed.  

There have been cases in the past where Lenovo proved sincere customer support towards Linux users, and my hope is that they will prove that once again. Thinkpads have always been central to the Linux community, and have always had a good reputation when it comes to open source compatibility.

While the BIOS image we are kindly but decidedly asking for surely involves investing time in writing and testing, development shouldn't be a too extensive process for Lenovo to accomplish after all. As far as my understanding goes, it should come down to a minor change, especially when the official Windows-compliant image for the 98% non-Linux customers remains untouched.

H_SG
Paper Tape
Views: 8,430
Message 15 of 295

I sincerely hope that S3 will be made available again in some form, either in UEFI options or a separate image. I was planning on buying the X1C6 at the end of the month and this is a big shock as a Linux user.

justyn
SCSI Port
Views: 8,280
Message 16 of 295

I'm also delaying buying a X1C6 until this is sorted, it's too important.

JulianPoy
Paper Tape
Views: 8,263
Message 17 of 295

Same here. I may have to return my X1C6 if this problem isn't fixed. Linux compatibility was a critcal decision point when purchasing this laptop.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,213
Message 18 of 295

I'll try write a HowTo tomorrow. For now this patch + https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT should help.

So far my X16 works like a charm with this. Suspend works with minimal power drain as one would expect.

Please be aware that I have no experience in this topic. This is a best effort preliminary fix. Use it at your own risk.
JulianPoy
Paper Tape
Views: 8,197
Message 19 of 295

As much as I appreciate a community fix for this issue, I believe this is something that needs to be fixed by Lenovo. I can't be risking my laptop with a custom DSDT.

Ranguvar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,135
Message 20 of 295

I can confirm fiji-flo's patch works for me!
Excellent work sir, please let us know if there is a way we can show our gratitude.

I have cut down the patch and posted it along with a precompiled initrd on the Arch forums, here.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1771654#p1771654

As esonn notes, you will also likely need to add mem_sleep_default=deep to your kernel command line.

Keep in mind, it's only safe to use that precompiled image if you are also on the 1.08 BIOS. I encourage patching your own DSDT.

Top Kudoed Authors