cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shazow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,694
Message 21 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I want to register my frustration with this situation. I just received my new X1 Carbon and put Linux on it expecting everything to be great because of the Thinkpad's brand reputation for always having great Linux support and I'm pretty disappointed that there is no official S3 state support. With simple idle sleep, my battery almost entirely died while being in my backpack for an afternoon.

I'm excited about the community reverse engineering patches and will try it myself shortly, but I don't consider this issue resolved until Lenovo releases an update with official support.

Please keep the Thinkpad brand Linux-friendly!

walkie
Core Memory
Views: 9,674
Message 22 of 295

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Just chiming in as another person who ordered this laptop specifically because of the Thinkpad's reputation as Linux friendly. I would also very much appreciate an official solution of some kind from Lenovo.

jim156
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,591
Message 23 of 295

I really hope Lenovo offers an official fix for this, otherwise I have to order another laptop...

Ranguvar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,542
Message 24 of 295

I completely agree with you folks that Lenovo should be solving this issue officially.

From what I know about these ACPI tables, it is entirely possible for Lenovo to insert a conditional so that on Linux, S3 is supported, and on WIndows, they will support S0i3.

If they do not do this, I support your decision in returning this laptop. However, if you are adventuring, I would like to link esonn's guide to using the fiji-flo patch here: http://delta-xi.net/#056

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 9,432
Message 25 of 295

Dear customers,

I got the update from Lenovo's Linux certification team that the Linux kernel already supports the Moden Standby(S0i3) and X1 Carbon Gen 6 and X1 Yoga 3rd already got the Ubuntu certification (kernel level is 4.13rc1).

I'd like customers to contact your favorite Linux distribiuters to get the newer kernel.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,392
Message 26 of 295

Thank you for getting back to use. To quote Ubuntu here:

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit

Pre-installed by manufacturer

Slow Resume from Suspend

This system does not not meet our performance criteria for resuming from suspend, but suspend/resume is functional and other functionality is not affected.

BIOS Lenovo: N23ET32W (1.07 ) (UEFI)

I think the majority of people here is on 4.15 or 4.16rc3, therefore the kernel version shouldn't be the issue. It's hard to find a working example of S0i3 support on a Intel Core iX platfrom anywhere in the internet. I'm happy to test an Ubuntu 16.04. However, this looks like 16.04 got certified. But 16.04 has a kernel 4.4. So could you point us to the working version of Ubuntu?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 9,368
Message 27 of 295

Dear customers,

I confirmed with Linux certification engineer that they certified the X1 Carbon Gen 6 by Ubuntu 16.04 with 4.13 kernel.  I requested this engineer to send update request for the Ubuntu web page in order to avoid confusion.

That engineer also mentioned customer can download Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 Beta for your X1 Carbon Gen 6.

fiji-flo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,345
Message 28 of 295

Thank you for this information. I'll test it later today.

JeremyS
Punch Card
Views: 9,292
Message 29 of 295

I just got my X1 Carbon 6th gen today and I'm sad to see that deep sleep is an issue =(

I followed this but I can't seem to get the patch working on Fedora27.

I had to manually patch dsdt.dsl, here is my patch file. I had to remove a few extra lines which were throwing errors.

Has anyone had luck doing this on Fedora27?

Please give us an official solution Lenovo!

Edit: I tried installing Ubuntu 17.10 just to see if I could get the patch working, but I can't. Does anyone have any debugging tips? If I can't get this working and there isn't going to be an official solution I might have to return my X1C6 =(

Edit2: I managed to get it working on Fedora27, I had secure boot enabled, doh!

Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 8,909
Message 30 of 295

Thanks for the info Jeremy, I'll add that note to the howto guide. Didn't ever cross my mind to boot a machine with Secure Boot enabled I guess.
Top Kudoed Authors