cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tito1337
Punch Card
Views: 5,630
Message 61 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@bugrasanwrote:
  • when i close the lid, then the system wakes up again. so i go to sleep with `sleep 5 && systemctl suspend -i` and then close the lid as fast as as possible :-)

Have you found a better solution to this? It's very annoying

Chefalcox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,584
Message 62 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and managed to get this somewhat working as per archlinux wiki page and a reboot. But in order to resume correctly I have to press the power button.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6)

bugrasan
Punch Card
Views: 5,493
Message 63 of 306

not yet.. :-(
wintermute42
SCSI Port
Views: 4,122
Message 64 of 306

This is just another customer requesting an official solution from Lenovo. I have bought this laptop with the sole purpose to run Linux on it, as I have with many Lenovo laptops in the past. Now I have to consider returning it and buying a different make with better Linux support. Please Lenovo, a solution from your side would be greatly appreciated.

azpekt420
Core Memory
Views: 3,804
Message 65 of 306

Hi, thanks! Few questions, hopefully someone could clarify them for me:

- adding acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 will basically fix the powerconsumption while going to s2idle, but not enable full s3 mode, right?

- will patching DSDT tables (and enabling S3, as per my understanding) be comparable with energy savings gained with acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1?

Thanks!

Aaron0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,790
Message 66 of 306

1, acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 is a S2idle feature, not for S3. S3 is not supported on Lenovo official BIOS.

2, patching DSDT to enable S3 power consumption is not tested, so I don't have the answer.

And I think S3 will cause some wakeup issues on some devices.

S2idle with acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 already got low power consumption, Intel committed that S2idle will consume as much power as S3 with less wakeup time and less resume/wakeup issues.

For now it should a little more than S3 and acceptable.

azpekt420
Core Memory
Views: 3,776
Message 67 of 306

how do you measure power usage while in s2idle state?
Aaron0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,762
Message 68 of 306

1, Simple way to measure the power consumption without other device:

$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0

energy is the current power level.

enter S0idle or S3  for some time. then check energy again, you can calc how much power was consumed.

This method is too rough, but at least you can do it without any other devices.

2, power analyzer:

It is a device to calculate the real power consumption.

Remove battery from your laptop, and connect the power analyzer with you laptop, it will show real power consumption/voltage/current.

rh78
Punch Card
Views: 3,680
Message 69 of 306

My responses are based on the X1 Yoga Gen 3 (a close cousin hardware-wise to the X1C6):

@azpekt420- adding acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 will basically fix the powerconsumption while going to s2idle, but not enable full s3 mode, right?

This will reduce power consumption but on my yoga it was still unacceptably high compared to s3 sleep on my old x1 carbon gen 3 under linux.

I didn't try patching the DSDT tables but there is an earlier post on this thread that suggests that acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 leads to very good results, but I didn't find that.

azpekt420
Core Memory
Views: 3,651
Message 70 of 306

Yeah, it did't went that well in my case (x1c6). I enabled this feature (Ubuntu 4.13.0-38), and powerconsumption during sleep is way to high - from 52% to 18% in 8 hours. Guess I need to patch DSDT tables after all.

Lenovo - hey, pls fix dat!

Screenshot from 2018-04-11 11-17-08.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors