cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpadlover9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,110
Message 71 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Hi! I'm running a few ThinkPad machines with Ubuntu and am a big fan for years. 

But this bug has been very frustrating for a lot of users (who also did not post yet) - please Lenovo, do something about this! Working with this "super portable" machine (which does not support proper sleep-mode) just does not work for us... I'm considering reselling the machine.

Thank you.

azpekt420
Core Memory
Views: 4,082
Message 72 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Okay, so I patched DSDT tables - and oh God almighty, things have changed for better (knocking on wood). This is a graph of power stats for battery charge for laptop, that was left in sleep during the night.

My config is:

x1c 6th gen

i8650

16gb

1tb

ubuntu 17.10 4.13.0-38.

I proceeded in accordance with this manual. Only trick I had to make, is to manually alter resulting .aml file, since it refused to remove few lines from it. 

Then added it to the grub params, and off you go.

But, on a serious note, Lenovo - please fix this. Please. 

Koobi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,044
Message 73 of 306

If this is not acceptable. I am really dissappointed!

I run my x220 with linux without any problems for years and now this...

This makes the x1c6 barely hardly usable. I guess I'll have to return mine if this is not fixed right away.

Please Lenovo, take care of this!

iwannay
Paper Tape
Views: 3,908
Message 74 of 306

Please Lenovo, take care of this!   thanks.

spinachbb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,870
Message 75 of 306

I've been running my X1C6 with Debian testing (buster) on 4.15, it's been great....except for the s2idle sleep state. I have applied the DSDT patch to re-enable S3 and it's amazing. Many thanks to the enthusiasts who brought that one to the masses. It would be fantastic if Lenovo could help out and do the same for the Linux community by offering an alternate BIOS for Linux users who wish to enable S3. Alternately, assisting the kernel developers in enabling Si03 state in the kernel would be wonderful as well!

All that said, I do love this laptop...!

igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,825
Message 76 of 306

But does applying the DSDT patch not void your warranty?

And what about the CPU thermal throttling issues in  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1C6-T480s-low-cTDP-and-trip-temperature-in-Linux/td-p... ? Did you somehow address those too?

spinachbb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,687
Message 77 of 306

> But does applying the DSDT patch not void your warranty?

Honestly, hard to say. I'm not patching the BIOS specifically, so I don't think so. The patch is applied at GRUB boot time, not in the EFI or BIOS.

I have not encountered the thermal issues as reported, either.

Good luck Smiley Happy
bugrasan
Punch Card
Views: 3,622
Message 78 of 306

@spinachbb, saying "... i do love this laptop" is like saying "i love the cat who is peeing on my carpet every day". Lenovo create a new wonderful laptop with X1C6 and X1Y3 then put a handycap in it that renders the machine to be useless as mobile computer. I definitively can't recommend this machine to anybody as it is today. sad story...
zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 3,126
Message 79 of 306

Did someone managed to get a reliabe suspend/resume working? I tried arch linux/ubuntu 18.04 both with 4.15.x, ubuntu 18.04 with 4.16.2 and 4.17 rc1. With and without acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 and with and without the dsdt patch.

Every combination has its flaws... Sometimes the touchpad, keyboard or both are not working after resume. Sometimes everything crashes and i lose my complete session.

touchpad at least can be reactivated with sudo modprobe -r psmouse sudo modprobe psmouse and I am sure the same can be done for the keyboard but try tipping without keyboard...

So if someone achived a working suspend/resume plz tell me your kernel version and maybe systemd version. Thanks a lot!

ps. lenovo plz do something!

_spOOn_
Punch Card
Views: 3,093
Message 80 of 306

@igtheflig wrote:

And what about the CPU thermal throttling issues in  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1C6-T480s-low-cTDP-and-trip-temperature-in-Linux/td-p... ? Did you somehow address those too?

No, it doesn't, and this is still a problem in the new 1.13 BIOS Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors