Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmbnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,248
Message 1 of 12

X1 Extreme with Linux brightness and suspend does not work

I recently purchased an X1 Extreme. I am a developer and only use Linux. I updated the BIOS to latest (1.12), installed Fedora 28, updated the NVidia driver to the lastet. I have had zero luck trying to get brightness control working (the brightness appears stuck at max). The system runs hot and worst of all the "suspend" does not work when the lid is closed which means that the laptop is useless.

I've tried almost everything that I can find to solve these issues. My grub command line is:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/fedora-swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau mem_sleep_default=deep acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 thinkpad-acpi.brightness_enable=1"

I also upgraded to Fedora 29 beta and latest kernel:

Linux extreme 4.18.13-300.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 17:22:50 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

to see if that would solve anything, but it only succeeded in making booting almost impossible, It only seems to work if I boot into single user mode and then exit out.

Does anyone have this solved or know if there is a solution?

jsry
Paper Tape
Views: 1,998
Message 2 of 12

Re: X1 Extreme with Linux brightness and suspend does not work

I am using ubuntu and the only way to set the brightness level that works for me is xbacklight. On the other hand, suspend works for me if I do it pressing the power button or with "systemctl suspend" but, on Gnome, when I close the lid it does not suspend (it did with Cinnamon, I guess it might be a gnome problem).

jmbnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,988
Message 3 of 12

Are you using xbacklight from the command line?

I think might be correct about GNOME so perhaps I'll try to post in the GNOME foum, I posted in the Fedora forum but so far no response. 

Is your setup dual boot or straight linux? What version of Ubuntu, 18.04? Does your box run hot? That is the other issue I seem to have, the machine seems to always run hot and the power drain is fairly quick. 

jsry
Paper Tape
Views: 1,948
Message 4 of 12

> Are you using xbacklight from the command line?

Yes.

> Is your setup dual boot or straight linux? What version of Ubuntu, 18.04?

Dual boot Windows + Ubuntu 18.04

> Does your box run hot?

It used to. It seems that after installing pm-utils things have improved a little. The fans used to be louder and the CPU temperature used to be higher.

aschmidt8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,692
Message 5 of 12

I'm on Ubuntu. The following grub config line worked for me to enable brightness:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvidia.NVreg_EnableBacklightHandler=1"

Don't forget to update-grub afterwords. I'm still working to figure out how to make it sleep when the lid closes. That's been a pain in the ass. My workaround for now has been to map the power button to suspend from within the system settings. I will post here if I find an answer for that. Let me know if the above command works for you.

jmbnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,684
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for responding. I have been touching the power button and that seems to work. Howeve, I think the entire power management system is broken because the box runs hot and the battery drain is unacceptable.

aschmidt8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,680
Message 7 of 12

Have you been having battery drain issues when it's suspended? or just when you're running the machine? also, did the previous line work for your brightness issues?

the power drain on mine is pretty bad when i'm using it, but it's fine when the machine is suspended. i suspect the usage power drain is bad because i haven't installed this bumblebee utility that i keep hearing about yet to properly configure nVidia Optimus.i'll be doing that shortly
jmbnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,666
Message 8 of 12

I think the drain is mostly when on as opposed to suspend but I am suspicious of suspend as well (clearly not as bad). When you install that utility then please share your results. this is very nice laptop but these small gotchas make it a less than pleasing experience esp for someone that spends most of their day developing software.

winprog
Paper Tape
Views: 447
Message 9 of 12

try to add "cpi_osi=linux nomodeset" to "quiet" lines.

for example:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-39-generic root=UUID=f13b5e7c-2167-45fb-958c-480f85d4c6c3 ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff cpi_osi=linux nomodeset

jmbnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 417
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the suggestion. I am curious, what makes you think (or know) that this will help?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors