Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jasminabasurita
Paper Tape
Views: 2,719
Message 1 of 11

X1 Yoga Gen 3 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I've been following the progress of S3 sleep state on the X1 Carbon Gen 6 as it's seemed that most of the hardware compatibility issues are identical under linux. I was recently very dissapointed to see that there was a new Bios release for both the X1 Carbon and the X1 Yoga, and while Lenovo finally released an update to return S3 to it's Carbon users, the same was not delivered to the X1 Yoga. I've been eagerly awaiting this update as much of the functionality of the computer simply doesn't work as intended in the current state (i.e. I was able to follow a work around to re map the S3 state, but the touch screen completely stops working after a wake from sleep state). Having to choose between S3 sleep and having a touch screen isn't a solution to me. I assumed an update to all Lenovo hardware that shipped with no S3 would come when a solution was found, but I suppose only those who voice a need for it get what they want so here it is. It's very upsetting to see Lenovo deprioritize it's Linux users after such a long history of support.

Gprime
What's DOS?
Views: 2,661
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Following, I am hopeful that Lenovo is doing the right thing here and we will also have S3 support in the next bios update.

ThinkOfTheBits
Paper Tape
Views: 2,638
Message 3 of 11

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I also have this problem. 

Worse yet, I'm finding that the power management settings for Linux seem to be badly misbehaving -- my system fan does not go on at all under (K)Ubuntu 18.04, no matter how hot the CPU gets -- not unless I *explicitly* force it to via think_acpi and manual fan control.

As far as I can tell I have all the power management drivers & sensors enabled that I could be expected to have installed.  I have the latest BIOS update for the X1 Yoga Gen 3, and my suspicion is that this BIOS update is at fault. 

Likely I will have to return my new Yoga as a result of this -- there is a high risk that the system could get so overheated as to damage itself, and manual fan control is not an appropriate substitute.  I have tried Thinkfan but do not feel comfortable with manual hacks like that -- it's not a replacement for something that should *just work* out of box. 

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,599
Message 4 of 11

Moreover, it seems that the new BIOS for the X1C6 - the one that enables S3 sleep - breaks the touchpad.

Tito1337
Punch Card
Views: 2,179
Message 5 of 11

I've documented the fan issues in another thread here : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-No-fan-at-all-since-ECP-1-08/td-p/4207...

You should downgrade to an older BIOS to get the fan working again...  At first I feared that Lenovo would release a BIOS with the S3 fix for the Yoga 3rd, and that the BIOS would have the fan issue. 

But at this point I'm convinced that Lenovo doesn't give a F. We will never have a proper S3 sleep, and I will stay with an old BIOS for years to come.

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 2,052
Message 6 of 11

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,040
Message 7 of 11

Ah, solution #32b! It might just work - and I hope it does work for some people - but:

• it is considerably involved;
  • 'needs to be repeated every time the kernel is upgraded and the GRUB configuration is rewritten';
  • and - though admittedly this thread is about the Y3 - does not look to set work for the X1.

This fix looks like one that some Arch Linux people automated for (and, I think, only for) the X1, and which no longer works on the X1 because of a BIOS update from Lenovo (an update that ostensibly, but not in reality on some machines, fixes the problem).

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 2,023
Message 8 of 11

This thread is dedicated to the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen and the fix works for me on this machine using debian stable. The source link reports that it is also working for Fedora. Hence, it is very likely working with Ubuntu and Red Hat, too.

Getting S3 sleep to work on X1Y3 is definitely worth an effort of a few minutes including a reboot. The documentation is very good, so that even a Linux novice should be able to follow it.

Changing a line in the grub.cfg after each kernel update is at least fine with me while waiting for Lenovo to release a revised BIOS version. 

jasminabasurita
Paper Tape
Views: 1,815
Message 9 of 11

I've been using the above mentioned fix for a while, and would like to further add that if you do away with grub entirely and boot directly from efistub (which you can easily do on the x1y3) the issue of needing to reconfigure grub at every update is no longer a problem. However this fix does not wake the touchscreen from sleep (at least not for me) and is not a replacement solution for the need for Lenovo to provide a viable BIOS update

TimSat
What's DOS?
Views: 1,474
Message 10 of 11

Changing a line in the grub.cfg after each kernel update is at least fine with me while waiting for Lenovo to release a revised BIOS version. 

you can avoid updating grub.cfg every time on kernel upgrade if you follow my recommendation here: https://gist.github.com/javanna/38d019a373085e1ba0c784597bc7ec73#gistcomment-2689830

(This assumes you're using initramfs-tools, but I guess this can be accomplished with dracut as well)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors