Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superadmin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,325
Message 41 of 65

Re: [X1C6/T480s] low cTDP and trip temperature in Linux

I have BIOS 1.23 and it will basically foul up CPU heat management performance for good system-wide, but especially in Windows when charger plugged in. It fixes only Intel Latest Security Side-Channel Attack Bug, and if you ask me there is no end in sight until Intel managed to degrade CPU performances to nil. We are at 18nm now and their <10nm yield is much worse than expected, meaning they need new sales arguments and destroying performance of their current and old chips by software upgrades will do the trick. Think VW fuel scandal in reverse. Its all a giant joke. Don't install 1.23!

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

moson
Paper Tape
Views: 5,950
Message 42 of 65

It's version 1.25 for the X1C6 where they made things worse. 1.23 should still be ok.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8vpenu/x1c6_w_bios_update_125_new_throttling_issues/

See changelog

- Fixed an issue where ThinkPad surface temperature is higher than designed.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n23uj08w.txt

For the T480s, the latest version atm is 1.23.

I've just applied it on my machine. It didn't change anything to max temp or max tdp though.

The fix in this thread is still working.

W2h
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,786
Message 43 of 65

Thanks to @erpalma for the excellent lenovo_fix. It also fixes another issue I have on my X1 Yoga (3th gen).

For me the the CPU was suddenly throttled completely down to 400mhz after +/- 20 seconds of heavy load; the machine becomes completely unresponsive. After some time it fixes itself and increases back to about 1800mhz. Not sure why it is doing this?

(I can reproduce this by running "stress -c 8")

I've now limited to 30W PL2 and 10W PL1 and this seems to prevent the extreme throttling.

Does anyone else recognize this on the X1 Yoga? The temperature seems to increase very quickly under load.

NickHuanca
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,284
Message 44 of 65

I too am having the same issue with dropping down to 400MHz -- I am thinking it has to do with BIOS 1.25 (since I upgraded as soon as I got the laptop, stupid mistake I guess). 

Was there a recent bios update that affected CPU temp on the Yoga 3rd gen?

EDIT: Even without the lenovo_fix systemd service running it still has the same issues. I have disabled power management in the bios (on the CPU) which stunts the CPU to 1.9GHz and it has stopped dropping down so low. It still drops but the top freq always stays at 1900MHz. It only dips to 1699 is the lowest I've seen. I also see the temp while running video conferencing, chrome, Stress (with s-tui) still staying at 76-77C. Power sticks around 15W. I don't get any adverse drops to 800MHz or even 400 MHz. 

It's unfortunate intel is really missing the mark with these CPUs. 

NickHuanca
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,152
Message 45 of 65

Actually with real use at work today it sporadically dropped the CPU TO 400MHz for a few minutes to a few seconds. This is complete and utter terrible behavior. 

I am turning off all power stepping in the Bios and running at the static 1900MHz freq. We'll see if tomorrow I hit the same issues.

The CPU runs notably cooler (60-77C) when stepping is disabled. 

NickHuanca
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,037
Message 46 of 65

Turning your bios CPU stepping out definitely uses more battery voltage but does keep the CPU t and frequency stable. 

W2h
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,994
Message 47 of 65

Doesn't disabeling the CPU power management from the bios also disable turbo-boost? That would have a big impact on performance.

I've since switched to Manjaro (Arch) which fixes the issues with the touchpad I've had on 18.04 on resume from standby. With the fix described on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6)#Power_management.2FThrottling... I also no longer have the extreme throttling problem on the Y3.

Quite happy now!

NickHuanca
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,962
Message 48 of 65

Do you know what bios version your running (out of curiosity)?

murgh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,426
Message 49 of 65

So apparently this still haven't been fixed? I can reproduce it on my Lenovo L480. Next im gonna try https://github.com/erpalma/lenovo-throttling-fix but this clearly is not the final solution. Disappointed with Lenovo's customer service.

murgh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,409
Message 50 of 65

The solution https://github.com/erpalma/lenovo-throttling-fix seemed to work as quick fix. Here is result of sysbench before the fix:

sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=80000 --num-threads=8 --max-time=60 run

CPU speed:
events per second: 276.18

General statistics:
total time: 60.0242s
total number of events: 16578

After the fix:

CPU speed:
events per second: 366.07

General statistics:
total time: 60.0143s
total number of events: 21970

32% increase in perfomance that's pretty major. This just proofs how important it is to have this fix.

I noticed though that it seems my CPU is maybe still not hitting it's max values? i5-8250U should have max frequency of 3.4ghz. /proc/cpuinfo says: cpu MHz : 3037.409 when under load.

Could someone else run the sysbench command, i am curious about results. Version is sysbench 1.0.11

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors