Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 54 (7,817 Views)

Y450 linux?

Hi, did anyone installed ubuntu or other linux distribution on ideapad Y450 before? I tried but with no success...
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 54 (7,742 Views)

Re: Y450 linux?

I try install Ubuntu 9.04 to my Y450, it failed at 26%  - Error 5 .......

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 54 (7,729 Views)

I can't event start installing, stuck at ubuntu splash screen after boot from CD. I tried with other distribution but found error like filesystem not found.
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 54 (7,575 Views)

I have installed one ubuntu 8.04 to my y450, it works well besides lacking vedio card driver.

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 54 (7,479 Views)

I have used Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit) in persistence mode on USB pen drive on my Y450 (integrated video).  The only things that I could not get to work properly were the screen brightness and the integrated microphone.  Oddly, the screen brightness indicator would change up and down AND the setting in /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD03/brightness (I think that is the right path--my machine is not in front of me) changed as well with the correct brightness percentage as on the indicator but the brightness stays constant (100%?).  Anyone figured out how to resolve this?  How about the microphone?  I have had problems getting my mic on my Dell desktop to work with Ubuntu (8.04), so this one did not surprise me.  There was no problem with the camera--this worked fine in cheese.

I am planning to set mine up as a dual-boot or maybe just Linux with a windows virtualbox.  It is a shame they will not provide the install disks...

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 54 (7,388 Views)

Just an update.  I shrunk my Vista partition (first in Vista but that wouldn't let me go lower than about 150GB even with multiple defrags so I shrunk it using gparted--of course I had to use a Vista repair disk the next time I tried to start up Vista--but it fixed it with no problems) to 80GB and then installed Ubuntu 9.04 on the rest (12GB /, 4GB swap, ~200GB /home).  Everything installed fine.  Only two things I cannot resolve: (1) LCD brightness and (2) microphone.  I have tried a ton of things to get the LCD brightness working including a number of acpi boot options (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingACPI)--nothing works.  I do notice that if I set the brightness at a certain value and then completely restart the computer--when it gets back into Ubuntu the brightness is fixed at the new level.  I learned this by accident when I restarted and the brightness was at zero.  I think this may  only work when I use acpi="Linux" in boot options. 

As for the microphone, I am stuck here.  I really hope I can find a solution for these two problems.  As is, it still beats the pants off Vista in terms of speed and usability.  Bootup is super fast (ext4 / partition).

Anyone who can help with the brightness and mic isues?  I even updated the BIOS with the newest version from Lenovo (there was a new update the week I received my laptop ~6/25).

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 54 (7,382 Views)

Microphone works now--I just needed to change the input from "front mic" to "int mic" in my alsa mixer.  Now for the LCD brightness...
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 54 (7,253 Views)

Adding "acpi_backlight=vendor" (no quotes) to the kernel boot options got the LCD brightness to change using the function keys.  This is great.  Not sure yet whether the battery monitor is taking the brightness change into account when calculating the remaining battery life--I think not--it seems to just be basing it on the brightness at startup.  Anybody got tips on this? 

One more thing--the hotkeys aren't working still for the audio although they do display the audio as changing in the popup box (just as the brightness did when it actually wasn't changing).  However, I can change the audio using the slider bar.   Also, I can't use the other touch keys (dolby key and the one to the left of it) for anything so far.  When I touch them, they light up, but if I try to use them as the trigger for a global hotkey they do not register.  Anyone got these working?

Punch Card
Message 9 of 54 (6,876 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just had a long post but it somehow didn't submit and then erased itself. 

I have 2 problems. I can only get the brightness to change with this command. It only will increase or decrease in very small intervals. 

"xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL legacy"

I don't think my internal speakers work at all. Maybe they're not plugged into the sound card, or maybe they're just broken. I am wondering if a sound plays when the computer is first turned on where you see the "Lenovo" splash screen. I see an option in the BIOS for volume adjustment. I have been unable to get sound to play from the internal speakers on Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10 and Windows 7 RTM - All are 64-bit. I have also tried to output sound with the 32-bit image of Windows 7 with no avail. I don't want to take it apart and void the warranty  - I am also having charging issues that I think are internal. I am waiting for the box to ship it back for repair. I never booted the original Lenovo image. I erased and repartitioned with gparted right when I received it. 

I will try your brightness fix and report back.

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 54 (6,867 Views)

I have not any sound problems other than the ones I mentioned--hotkeys, muting problem, etc.  I do notice that when the volume is high the left speaker crackles a bit--perhaps it was blown somehow from the start.  Actually, this occurs primarily when booting into Vista (I did not wipe the drive, just shrunk the partition to 80GB and set up dual boot). 

As for the sound on the Lenovo splash screen--this worked fine for me from the start.  It quickly became annoying however and I disabled it in the BIOS.  Perhaps you hardware is bad.

I have in general been pleased with Ubuntu 9.10 on my Y450.  The hotkey issue is a small annoyance.  The only real problematice thing is the extremely poor battery life--something like 2:30 where I get more like >4:00 in Vista.  It may have something to do with the LCD settings.  I have tried making tweaks with powertop and these seem to improve the battery usage a little although it does not show any change in the time indicator on the battery monitor so it is hard to tell how much.

Good luck.

Top kudoed Authors